ImpetigoWhat causes impetigo and how can I treat the condition?
Impetigo is a bacterial infection of the skin that young children are susceptible to. Bacteria is the cause of impetigo. Streptococci or staphylococci enter the skin through a scratch, cut, bite or other skin irritation-such as diaper rash. Both bacteria often infect the same lesion.
With staph infections, you will notice large, thin-walled blisters that burst and leave a thin yellow-brown crust. With strep infections, a single painless fluid-filled vesicle surrounded by reddened skin develops. The vesicles usually form around the nose, mouth or ears. The vesicles may begin to weep and ooze a yellowish fluid, which will form a yellowish crust. The infection can spread rapidly to other areas on the skin.
Impetigo is transmitted from person to person contact. Because impetigo is itchy, children scratch at the sores and spread the illness from one person to another. Impetigo is highly contagious until the rash is gone or until medication has been in your child's sytem for 48 hours and the rash improves.
If you suspect that your child has impetigo, call her pediatrician to schedule an appointment. Medical treatment is necesary for the treatment of impetigo. Do NOT self treat impetigo. Topical creams and hot soaks are generally prescribed for mild cases of impetigo. Oral antibiotics are effective against both types of bacteria and will be prescribed for multiple lesions.
You can prevent the illness by keeping your child away from anyone that has an active infection and by thoroughly cleaning all skin wounds with soap and water. If your child gets a scrape, cut or other type of skin wound, always apply an antibiotic ointment to the wound to prevent infections from developing. Do not send your child to school or daycare with impetigo. If possible, cover the area with a sterile dressing and keep your child's fingernails trimmed. Comments: Impetigo
There are no comments on this topic yet.