AbortionAn abortion can be a very hard decision to make. Don't make this decision on your own!
Number of abortions in the US
On the basis of current abortion rates, one in three American women will have had an abortion by the age of 45.
5 ways of Abortion
- First 3 months: VACUUM ASPIRATION (also called `dilation and curettage` or `D and C` or `suction curettage`) is a surgical abortion. It can be done as soon as the woman finds out that she is pregnant up to fourteen weeks after the first day of the last normal period. That`s about four to twelve weeks after fertilization, but since we usually don`t know when fertilization happens, all the numbers in this Reference Sheet are `since the Last Menstrual Period` or what doctors call `LMP`).
Vacuum aspiration is the most common type of abortion. In Washington, almost 79 % of all abortions are this type. Besides being done for abortion purposes, this is also the most common procedure after a miscarriage. It costs about $406 – $787 in the Seattle area. Low-income women can get financial help and medical coupons are usually accepted. Sometimes private insurance companies will also cover it.
- First 3 months: MEDICATION ABORTION (also known as `the abortion pill` or `RU 486`) is used up to nine weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period.
The medication abortion is the second most common type of abortion. In Washington, almost 12% of all abortions are this type. They cost about $415 - $675 in the Seattle area. Low-income women can get financial help and medical coupons are usually accepted. Sometimes private insurance companies will also cover it. Some clinics have age limits that do not allow for girls under the age of 15 to select this procedure.
- 3 - 6 months: DILATION AND EVACUATION or a `D & E` ... is done between 12 and 20 weeks, occasionally more, after the first day of the last normal period.
D & E is the third most common type of abortion. About 9% of all abortions in Washington are D & E's. In the Seattle area they cost about $500- $2,000 and are not available after 24 weeks gestation. Again, financial help is available and some doctors accept medical coupons. Sometimes private insurance companies will also cover it.
- 3 - 6 months: INFUSION of fluid into the amniotic sac (or `instillation`)... may be done in rare cases, for instance if the woman's life is in danger. This type is very rarely done now (1/10 of 1 % or about 1 per thousand abortion procedures in Washington State in 2003), but was used in the 1970`s and 1980`s.
- 3 - 9 months: INTACT DILATION AND EXTRACTION (also called `D & X` or `IDE`) is also very rare (also about 1 per thousand abortion procedures in Washington State in 2003). It could be done because something has gone catastrophically wrong with a pregnancy.
Medical reasons for abortion
- Medically necessary to save the life of the woman. (e.g Ectopic pregnancy)
- To prevent long-lasting physical health damage to the woman
- Fetal death
- False pregnancy
- Missed abortion (The fetus dies in the uterus but there is no bleeding or cramping. A D&C will be needed to remove the fetal remains and prevent complications.)
Elected reasons for abortion
- Sexual assault or incest
- Personal choice
- too young/immature/not ready for the responsibility
- to avoid adjusting to a new life
- single mother or in poor relationship
- enough children already
There are no comments on this topic yet.