Hypospadias

This topic contains 39 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LuvBugs LuvBugs 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of i-am-pregnant
    i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

Hypospadias

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

Has anyone had a son who has been born with this and had it treated with surgery? How did it go? My son was born with hypospadias and we went to see the urologist today about it and he seems to be pretty confident that he can fix it with no problems. He is the only urologist in the state that I live in and has been doing this for over 35 years. Even though this is more of a minor deal and he could have been born with something much more traumatic It still hurts me that my son has to go through something like this, he’ll have to be put asleep under general anesthesia (which almost scares me more than the surgery itsself) and the surgery is 2 hours long. I would never consider not having the surgery but I just feel so sorry that my little one has to go through it. It’s alot more intense than just a circumcision. The urologist told us that he would preform the surgery at 6 months old…i’m so ready for him to have it and be done with it.

Profile photo of manniemarie
    manniemarie

My son was also born with this. He had his surgery between 6-7 months old. He came through it fine, I think it was harder on me and my husband. But on the down side, he needs another surgery within the next year, because he is curved. Alot of the times that is fixed but his wasnt. The urologist said that it would be a very minor surgery to fix the curve so we are going to have it done.
    ETA: He will be 4 this month.

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

Our urologist did mention that my son was curved only a very tiny bit. I would hate to think we would have to go through another surgery…especially at 4 years old. Did you have to wait this long or was it by choice? Could you tell if your son was hurting or sore after the surgery? How long did it take to completly heal?

Profile photo of Seven
    Seven

My friends son had this condition and he had the surgery and now everything is fine. You couldn’t even tell that he had the surgery as he was very happy like he not in any pain.

Profile photo of lin
    lin

my son was born with hypospadia. Luckily his uretha was located in the right spot so it did not need to be corrected. He does have extra foreskin and such. Right now he is kind of stuck in the middle…doesnt look circumcised but he doesnt look as though he wasnt. My doctor says he can perform a circumcision at one year old but other than that we were VERY LUCKY his urethral opening was in the proper spot. He was also born with a club foot…wonder if those are linked at all?

Profile photo of Logansmommy
    Logansmommy

My son was also born with this condition, but he was lucky and the urethra is in the right spot as well, He doesnt have extra foreskin, he is between a circumsized one and an un-circ. one. We were told by the peadiatriction that he could not be circum. if we wanted him to be. Which works out as we never planned on doing it in the first place.

Profile photo of dizzydayz
    dizzydayz

my son was born with hypospadias he is only 11 days old now but goes to the doctor in 3 weeks and then at a year for surgery his urethra is down really low and has a little bit of foreskin on the top of his penis he also has to have surgery since his testicles havnt dropped so they have to pull them down and clamp them and the scar tissue will hold them in place i think all of this bothers me more than it does anyone else

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

Dizzy- It bothers me too! My son has this and his urethra is in the middle on the underside of his penis so he will have to be reconstructed. We went to see the urologist about it and he seems to think he can fix it with no problems but it still worries me sick. I just want him to be right once it’s all said and done with. Our appt for his surgery is not until next April and my son will be 14 months old then…they do have us on a waiting list and hope that we can get in before then. He can’t preform the surgery until he’s at least 6 months but because he’s so booked (he’s the only urologist in the state i live in) he couldn’t get him in until next April.

Profile photo of twintastic
    twintastic

My youngest son, who is a twin, was born with this and it looked to me very scary at first. as i didnt understand the defect. once we had seen the consultant dealing with my son i felt so much better as he seemed very confident it wasn’t the worse he had seen.
    but he is not being seen again till he is 18mths, which is in June, then they will decide on the type of surgery they are going to do on him. Izaak since he has been born has not shown any signs of an erection! which i believe can be an effect caused by the defect. he also has 2 pee pee holes, but has wet nappies no problem. im in the uk and was told he couldnt have surgery till older as he would have grown into his penis sort of speak. and thats when they could make a better decision over his surgery.

Profile photo of lin
    lin

Recap…my son was born with hypospadia, after careful examination it appeared that his urethra was just a tad lower than where it was supposed to be. They left it for a year to see what would happen, and same story. Just a little lower than where it should be. So he required no surgical intervention to fix that. He did however look different, foreskin didnt grow out properly and he looked not quite circumcised but not…not circumcised. We had him circumcised a few weeks ago at sixteen months and he did so well. He was put to sleep and the same day he was riding his toy horse and running all over the place, so resilient! It hasnt bothered him a bit. We chose to circumcise because as i said, he didnt look either way and we found out we were having another boy. We really want them to look the same, not different. So looks like this baby will be circumcised as well, the only way to have both boys looking the same.

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

Hey I am 27 weeks pregnant and my husband has this condition. I know one of the scary parts of the condition is possible infertility and well, it hasn’t affected him in that way. There are several degrees of hypospadias. His is glandular meaning his urethra is on the underside of the head or glans. But they can be anywhere on the underside of the shaft all the way to under the scrotum into the perineal area.

Profile photo of dizzydayz
    dizzydayz

both my sons were born with this condition so i think it might be genetic

Profile photo of manzie91k
    manzie91k

My son was born with hypospadias. They did a corrective surgery when he was 6 months old, they circumsized him at the same time. He is now 15 months old and everything looks and functions normal. The only concern is that when he is older scar tissue may cause the urethra to narrow.

Profile photo of MrsParker
    MrsParker

hey ladies..I have a quick question for you…me and my husband noticed our baby had kind of a crooked penis in his ultrasound compared to the other ones….Did your doctors diagnose your sons with this while he was in the womb or once born?? but I’m scared ours might have this–or am I just freaking out for no reason..his ultrasound is in my blog ‘confused.’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.