Progesterone levels

This topic contains 36 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JH JH 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of i-am-pregnant
    i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

Pregnancy would not be possible without progesterone!

I wonder why my doctor never gave me a choice to check into my progest levels? even when i asked if i could get checked. i had a mc at 5weeks in aug 08 and i thought maybe since i had irregular periods maybe thats why i didnt have enought progest.

Profile photo of LMDYNOMITE
    LMDYNOMITE

HELLO EVERYONE I AM ON PROMETRIUM AND I TAKE 3 200MG TABLETS A DAY I HAVE DONE THIS WITH ALL OF MY PREGNANCY’S AND I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS . THIS TIME I HAVE TO TAKE ALL THE WAY UP UNTIL WEEK 36 . PROMETRIUM MAKES YOUR CERVIX THICKER AND HELPS PREVENT CRAMPING .
    I AM HAPPY THAT I DECIDED TO TAKE THE MEDICATION I HAVE 2 LOVELY GIRLS AND BABY # 3 ON THE WAY

Profile photo of AandDsMommy
    AandDsMommy
    Participant

I am on the shots once a week also and I just want to know how long after you stop taking the shots does it take for labor to start??? I’m very anxious to get him out and I am miserable. I am only 30 weeks by the way and yes I realize he is not coming all that soon, I stop my shot between 34 and 36 weeks. I just wanna know how long it took for you guys to go into labor after using this shot?!?!?!

Hi girls! I just found out yesterday that I am pregnant again! I am hoping and praying this time it will turn out okay. During my last pregnancy, at about 4 and a half weeks, my Dr. called me to inform me that my progesterone level was at 5….and she usually likes to see it around 16 at that point. She gave me a prescription for Prometrium to try and up my levels. Right after I started taking it, I miscarried. It could be that it was just meant to happen, but I can’t help but worry that maybe the Prometrium triggered it. She told me if I got pregnant again, to go ahead and start taking it right away (she said it wouldn’t hurt if my levels were normal)….but I’m so scared! I haven’t been to the Dr. yet to even know what my levels are and I’m supposed to start taking this again. Can anyone offer any advice? PLEASE?

Profile photo of TiffanyJade
    TiffanyJade

Hello! I had a m/c 2 years ago at 4 weeks due to low progesterone levels. When they tested it was at 7 and they put me on the 200mg pills taken at bedtime. I only took them for 2 days then had m/c. I am now 6 wks pregnant again..yay!! I went to have my levels checked at 4 wks and the progesterone was at 13.5 which doc said wasn’t were it needs to be so they put me on the progesterone suppositories this time and I have been on them for 1 week now and went for blood work today and will find out tomorrow if the levels have went up…I hope so!

Profile photo of mom2bntexas
    mom2bntexas

I am 5 weeks 2 days today. I had a HORROR story with lab work. They nurse drew blood Tuesday, and Thursday called and said that the HCG level was 0. They asked them to run it again, but had me come in for an ultrasound and more blood work. I had a BFP on another urine test and there was a sac and yolk measuring exactly 5 wks 1 day. I got a call this morning that the re-test of the first blood draw came back again but was positive with HCG at 1400, but my progesterone was 7.5. He prescribed prometrium to be inserted vaginally. I had the same with my daughter, I just hope that I started it in time. With her I started at 4 weeks not 5. Anyone have any idea how quickly prometrium can increase your progesterone level?

I was diagnosed with low progesterone (7) too after a 5 months of trying, a miscarriage, and another 8 months of trying. They prescribed Clomid to be taken on my next cycle. Before I was able to take it, I read that a diet high in raw fruits and veggies will raise it naturally, so I tried it for a bit over three weeks (days 7-30). BFP on day 30 without any drugs! My doc immediately put me on prog. supplements for the first trimester (I am about to enter week 11). I won’t say that it will work for everyone, but the worst that will happen is you will be eating healthier……

Profile photo of KRogers07
    KRogers07

Ok question. Didnt know where to post this. We are ttc. For the last 2 months I have started spotting on day 24 of my 27 day cycle. I normallly ovulate on day 14. My breasts have also been very tender. Doc is checking me for low progesterone. Has anyone experienced this? Is it easily fixed? Can I still get pregnant this month? I am charting and I have a clear thermal shift after ovulation and my temp does not drop till the day before I start my period. Any advice would help. Thanks

I recently went to the doctor a week ago and had my progesterone levels tested to see if I was ovulating. They called me the next day and told me that I did not ovulate – level was 6.3. I got real upset and thought that I was going to need fertility drugs in order to conceive. Well, after drinking beer over the weekend, I found out I was about 5 weeks pregnant. (I didn’t know that you don’t ovulate when pregnant) My doctor immediately became worried after realizing that my progesterone levels were so low so he tested it again and it was only 6.6 and he then prescribed progesterone vaginal suppositories. I was wondering if anyone has experienced severe side effects or believes that progesterone causes problems with the baby…..

Profile photo of kjslover
    kjslover

I was on progesterone suppositories for the first trimester and didn’t have any problems. I’m 25 weeks now and my baby is healthy and growing right on schedule! It’s very common to be used when there is a threat or risk of miscarriage. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Profile photo of adriana03
    adriana03
    Participant

For those of you who were put on the shots or suppositories when did your doc start to give them to you?? Im kind of contracting already and he says that i have to wait til 20 weeks. iVe heard alot of ppl getting them at 16??? why does he say i have to wait?? Im only 13 weeks now.

Profile photo of Redheadmama
    Redheadmama

KROGERS- yes, low progesterone can be fixed. I take two progesterone capsules a day (one at night, one in the morning). They can be taken orally but apparently are not as effective, so I take them as vaginal suppositories. I start taking them on CD14 (or when you know you’ve ovulated) and keep taking them until you get a bfp (and then stay on them until about 14 weeks) or until your cycle is late and you get two bfns. Some people don’t get their period until a day or so after they stop taking the supplements. Your doctor will obviously be the best one to tell you what your body needs and what will be the best for your fertility. All the best!

Profile photo of beachgirl
    beachgirl

I am 6 weeks pregnant after 3 m/c. Last week, my progesterone levels were 19.8 and this week they dropped to 17.9. Anyone had this happen? Is the drop a bad sign? Do you think progesterone supplements would be necessary? I haven’t had any spotting yet and just a little light cramping but I am worried sick to lose this pregnancy for the 4th time in row. Any success stories??

Profile photo of hopingmarch
    hopingmarch

I wanted to respond to your question/concern marchbabies. I am 4 1/2 weeks pregnant and had a previous miscarriage in May. My progesterone level were taken about a week ago and it was 25.7 and yesterday I had a blood test and they were 20.4. Of course I am really nervous about that but my midwife tells me it is okay for progesterone to fluctuate as long as it doesn’t drop really low, like under 10. I am still worried and I probably will be until at least 12 weeks. I just wanted you to know I had the same experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.