Weight gain

This topic contains 195 replies, has 139 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of i-am-pregnant i-am-pregnant 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of knocketup
    knocketup

I gained 20 lbs. during my pregnancy and had it off in 1 week. I am now 2 weeks post csec and am 5 lbs. under my starting weight. When I first came home I was only down 12 lbs. I then started losing a couple of lbs. a day. My Dr. gave me a compression belt which I swear by for reducing swelling. Good luck to all of you with your pregnancies!

Profile photo of Erickaash
    Erickaash

I think the best way to lose the baby weight is to drink LOTS of water. It is hard for me to drink lots when it is cold so after i had my son whenever i breastfed I would have a room temperature(or slightly colder) water ready to drink…..the whole thing! and thats how I completely ( and a little extra) lost ALL the weight.

Profile photo of Lissie
    Lissie

Oh, and I am going to buy one of those postpartum belly belts. I lost all of the weight last time but my belly was still a little poochy. Other women have sworn by them and I am really interested in trying it out this time around!

Profile photo of Lissie
    Lissie

Breastfeeding is the best way to lose weight!!! And you do have to drink a lot of fluids when you breastfeed. I have gained a lot more than I should have…I keep putting on 7-9 pounds with each doctors visit. (thats been every 4 weeks). I think I had gained 29 pounds by week 28. I think I will end up gaining about 10 pounds more than I ‘should’. I am eating terribly. I do great in the day time, but when night time rolls around I go crazy and eat eat eat. Some days are better than other days. I notice when I exercise I crave more health foods. Unfortunately when I don’t exercise I eat more junk food than I should. It doesn’t help that I do not work and have just recently graduated so I am home a lot with my daughter and find myself in the fridge and pantry way to often…Anyway, I know it is important to control myself. I think I am sliding by only b/c I started out at a healthy 120 pounds. My doctor says that the placenta secretes a hormone that increases out appetite. I know that is true b/c when I am not pregnant I am normal and balanced–I don’t crave food all day long. But when I am pregnant I am thinking about food way to much. It makes it worse that my daughter is such a picky eater b/c I have to think about creative ways to get her to eat and that puts food on my mind too. Good luck to the rest of you with you weight gain/loss.

Profile photo of Lissie
    Lissie

My nutrition instructor said that BMIs are not a very reliable way to tell if you are overweight b/c of the different body types/builds. They give a general idea though. If you are broad like most of the women in my fam you may be just fine. My youngest sis is your height and prepreg weight and was headed to the olympics when she found out she was prego! She was in PERFECT shape. I mean the girls butt was so hard it felt like a rock—so, you may be perfect 😉

this pregnancy (my 1st) , i have now gained exactly 40 lbs and i am due in a week. i started out at 144 and im now 184. im about 5’5 or 5’6 so b4 i got pregnant i was totally fine with my body. now i hateeee my body. i just hope i can lose the weight after he is born. maybe i will look into one of those belts u ladies r talking about. i do plan on breastfeeding at least for about 2 months or so..but my biggest fear isnt losing the weight… its having my son and suddenly a million stretch marks appear and i have saggy loose skin on my belly that will never go away. it makes me worried cuz i know that can happen. i just hope it doesnt happen to me but idk how to tell if it will or not. i feel like my belly is hugeee now but i guess just wait and see.. =/

Profile photo of xmayx
    xmayx

I’m 23 weeks and gained about 20lbs so far. Is that too much for 23 weeks? About how much would I lose after I have the baby and breastfeed? Dr told me to eat smart and I’m starting to feel like I’m gaining a lil too much too fast.

Profile photo of Lissie
    Lissie

Breastfeeding helped me to drop 6 clothing sizes. My sister-in-law is the thinnest she has ever been b/c of breastfeeding her 3rd baby. I know the baby takes 500 calories a day from us while breast feeding so that is roughly 7 days/wk*500ckal/day = 3500 kcal/wk = a pound a week that you will lose in addition to your natural weight loss after pregnancy. So not only is it good for the baby, it’s good for us!!! Also, breastfeeding causes our bodies to secretes hormones that help your uterus contract and shrink more quickly.

feefees a mom 2 be–I think I could have gained about 8-10 pounds less with my previous pregancy and I think I will gain about 10-15 more than I need to this time. I didn’t get any stretch marks last time, but I think I will this time b/c I am gaining more weight. I am also worried b/c my baby is measuring larger this time and I had a difficult time with labor the last time when the baby was small 🙁 I did go to the gym tonight to use the elliptical though 🙂

Profile photo of Lissie
    Lissie

Oh, and I do think the weight gain is somewhat genetic. Some of us have to work harder than others to keep it under control. Also, WHERE the weight goes seems to be genetic somewhat too. I have already grown 4.5 cup sizes in my bra! I could die. It is awful!! I was already blessed enough in that area–good thing my bb shrunk back down to their original size last time even while I was still breastfeeding. I think it was mostly from the weight gain and not just pregnancy.

Profile photo of ermsmom
    ermsmom

I lost basically no weight breastfeeding although I ate healthy and exercised. I did cut back on the amount of exercise I did though because it was tough with a new baby. I think a lot of it is genetic. Breastfeeding is the best way to go for your baby though so do it for that not just the weight loss.

Profile photo of Lissie
    Lissie

Losing weight is a simple matter of using more calories than we consume. Breastfeeding will use on average 500 calories/day. That means it will help the average mom lose a pound per week more than she would without breastfeeding b/c 3500 calories will be used. 3500 calories = a pound. Some of us have quicker metabolisms than others. Genetically it is more difficult for some of us to lose weight. I am just stating a fact that if you eat the same amount and breastfeed you will lost weight faster. Part of our problem happens b/c our bodies like to maintain the weight we are at. Because of this, when we exercise, breastfeed etc we may eat more without noticing b/c our bodies like to maintain. The simple fact is that if we are burning/using more calories than we intake we WILL lose weight! If we take in more calories than we are using we will gain. Scientifically it’s simple, but in practice it can be very difficult! I guess for some of us we have to watch more carefully how much we are eating. Good luck to us! It can be frustrating!

Profile photo of littlesean
    littlesean

what should i have gained so far for 20 weeks? im 5’2′ 112 before pregnancy….

ok….I am bummed out….I am not a big girl, but I have broad shoulders and am ‘hippy’ with a small waist. I am 5’7 and was 165 before I got pregnant with my second (15 weeks now) . It says I am over weight. I have gained 10 lbs so far. However, I am carrying all (hard) belly, and from behind no one can tell I am expecting. I gained 55lbs in my first pregnancy (DD was 8lbs, 2oz) and retained a lot of water due to being SO sick for all 10 months. I think I am doing better now, and did go down to 150lbs BF my DD and was STARVING. But still, I have never considered myself heavy (unless I was preg., then I just feel HUGE)…anyone else feel this way?

Profile photo of kayla1229
    kayla1229

so i am 13 weeks pregnant and i have LOST 13 pounds in the last 2 months. im not all that concerned though, i still had 35 pounds to lose from my last baby. and plus, i am almost back in the ‘normal’ category!

Profile photo of xCharleex
    xCharleex

im 24 weeks pregnant in 3 days and ive gained only 1 pound. With my first pregnancy i gained almost 14 pounds by now, so im rather lucky i guess x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 196 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.