Write a new blog
|29-7-2009 - 6 months....what a bad appointment :( i need your help and advice
||My mood while writing this blog:|
a little upset
so brayden had his 6 month appointment and boy did it go completely OPPOSITE of what I imagined! we had to se a doctor hes never been to before because our normal doctor was on vacation but we couldnt really post pone it because he had to get shots and he has a popped blood vessel in one of his eyes so i wanted to make sure that was healing well too....well he weighed 26.5 pounds and was 28.5 inches long. when we got in the room the doctor immediately got onto me about his size and was asking me what all im feeding him, which all he gets is 6 ounces (NO CEREAL!) like every 5 hours or so and some baby food a few times a day. when he eats baby food he eats 2 things. which i didnt think was a problem!??! some 6 month old babies i know are eating like 8 ounces WITH cereal!! so i thought he was doing good. well he told me to cut him back to maybe 5 ounces and just one thing of food. well i was already upset because this doctor doesnt know my baby like his normal doctor does ya know, and brayden is a BIG BOY, he is tall and long and just BIG like his dad!! steven is 6'4 people so brayden is going to be big i think like him so would that mean hes going to be a big baby!??!
well anyways, the guy made me feel like brayden was like obese or something and i just dont agree with him!! hes not FAT i think its just normal baby fat ya know...and so im just so confused. what do i do!??! ive been doing what he said and brayden acts like im starving him and it literally makes me cry because i feel like i am!!! i mean if hes hungry hes hungry how can i just not feed him what he needs? the doctor said "oh well if he acts like hes still hungryjust take his mind off it by giving him a passy or walking him around outside or something" it does NOT work....brayden SCREEEEAMS and just acts like hes starving! so of course eventually he will calm down after 20 minutes of me bouncing and singing and talking and playing and doing all i can do to take his mind off it.
so heres my problem....do i keep him on this diet which i think is absolutely rediculous at 6 months old to be on his first diet when hes a damn baby for cryin out loud!!! or do i continue to feed like i did before?? this is why i dont know what to do: if he IS over weight (which he doesnt even LOOK overweight) i dont want to risk him in the long run being unhealthy or anything so what do i do? how are we to know what size person our children will be later in life????? i mean wont some of this weigh fall off when he starts to crawl and then walk and just becomes more mobile?!? because right now he just sits up and rolls over.....
im just so confused. i want to do what is right but im stuck on knowing right from wrong in this situation.... PLEASE help me...
5 Comments on 6 months....what a bad appointment :( i need your help and advicealoha.ma
- Friday, 31 Jul Girl...I so know how you feel....but mine is opposite:) My baby is small and I keep getting told to feed him more...lol. Aidyn is still smaller but has gained weight...He at 5 1/2 months was 13 lb 3 oz. Small I know! The way I look at it is...I follow the dr's advice to an extent. I am not waking my baby 24/7 to feed him. I feed him every 3 hours , 6-7 oz. Then about 9pm he's out and I let him sleep.(with an occasional 11pm feeding, rare) The he wakes around 8-9 am and he eats. So he gets approx. 5 bottles a day at 6-7 oz. The baby food I dont consider "food" right now...cause barely any gets in his tummy..lol. But I have noticed Aidyn grabbing for "food", which I heard means he's ready for the transition ...but his tongue reflex is still there. (Where they push the food up and out) So I know EXACTLY how your feeling, and I was actually curious if dr's told people their babies were too big?!?! Keep in mind the dr telling me my baby is too small is overweight....how ironic!:) lol bezzi44
- Friday, 31 Jul I agree with Erin. Go back to your regular doctor and discuss your concerns. There could be an underlying health issue like thyroid or diabetes that is causing such a weight gain if he doesn't seem to be eating that much.
My doc told me the first year (might have been 6 mo)was usually from the invitro envirionment and then after that it's genetics. So even tho my DD is kinda small now, she should grow later.
Also, have you weighed him yourself? I've seen the nurses screw up big time... my son was measured at 36" and we get him home and he's like 32. My DD was measured at 29" and then a week later 25.5". mrsaikogarcia
- Wednesday, 29 Jul if your baby is hungry and he really starts screaming then of course you should feed him milk because there's no other way to take his mind off it or else it'll be really hard. my son's former pedia told me not to give my son milk until after 3hrs (i breasteed) because he's overweight for his age. but then my son really starts to cry every 2hrs for milk. i can't just let him starve right? so if the baby is hungry give him something but maybe cut down on the foods he eats. and maybe he is just a big boy like his father. =) erin a
- Wednesday, 29 Jul The reason they are freaking out is that weight is way off the growth chart., do you know if he is following the same growth curve or not? Also his length and his weight make him have a high BMI (body mass index) which categorizes as overweight. Those words are hard to take especially when your child is only 6 months old. I don't think i would reduce his formula intake at all. Maybe just cut his solids back a little. You can not starve your child, at this age they only eat when they are hungry. Also, maybe avoid table foods for a little bit. Call your Peds. office and ask if you can make another appt with his actual doctor when he gets back from vacation to discuss his weight. JadesHotMom
- Wednesday, 29 Jul continue to feed him the way u were before that stupid doctor told u otherwise... then u wait til his next appt and see what his doctor says. some doctors dnt know shit and so i say u should not have him on a diet.