Write a new blog
|03-5-2010 - 6 w 1 d The Perfect Scan
||My mood while writing this blog:|
It is with great pleasure that I write this blog. So this is how it feels to have a perfect scan! WOW! What a feeling. There I was, pretty calm and relaxed. Went through my pre-scan check up. I lost 2kgs (4.4lbs). My blood pressure was low 90/60 (no wonder I have been feeling like sh12).
To the Dr's room we go. First he works through all the standard questions, re-cap history of previous pregnancies and scans and off we go to have a look. I readied myself for the scan whilst the Dr courteously leave the room. It felt like he took a year to return. Guess he chatted with a nurse or patient for a few seconds. So internal scan starts. I immediately see the gestational sac and within a second see that there is a little something in the sac. WOOOHOOO! 1st milestone: we have a baby. Dr comments that there is a nice heartbeat. I, however, cannot see it on my monitor of the scan. DH joins us at this point. WOOOHOOO! 2nd milestone: we have a heartbeat. Baby keeps moving in and out of the view of the scan, but Dr manages to get a shot to measure him/her. His comment before the he measures 'the baby is small' this makes my heart skip a beat, but in the same breath he says 'baby measures 6 w 2 d'. WOOOHOOO and YAY! Both DH and I goes 'YES!'. LOL. 3rd milestone: baby is measuring on time and actually 1 day ahead. He continues to hover over the baby and we then saw the yolk sac. After that we were spoiled by our very pleased Dr by allowing us to listen to the heartbeat of our little one. Oh WOW! What a very special moment to hear that strong little 'swoosh swoosh swoosh'. The tears of relief, thankfulness and happiness filled my eyes.
The rest of the appointment included my Dr's standard 'what to expect during pregnancy' speech; a due date of 23rd December; confirmation that I don't need any more blood work at this point (after wading through the vastness of my file to find all the previous pathology results - I practically own shares in the pathology lab after the last 3 years) and some light hearted discussions.
He offered another scan in 2 weeks for my sanity. Then another one 4 weeks after that. However, it came with an invite that I can phone the nurses any time of the day with any questions I have. He called them my 'guardian angels' and if there is anything after hours I can call him on his cell. I am also not to hesitate to request a scan when ever I am worried. He said even if it is one everyday they will understand. After the journey we have been on together they will do whatever necessary to help me through what must be a very nerve wrecking first trimester. I could not have been more appreciative of these words. Bless him!
The only thing that came out of the appointment that is going to be hard to work through (and caused some serious discussions) is that I am only to use the progesterone for another 2 weeks (up to week 8 of the pregnancy). He says there is really no need to take it after week 8 as the placenta will do the work then. I am a bit nervous about this. I would have liked to keep using the progesterone until week 12. However, I have promised myself that I will trust his decisions during this pregnancy as there is absolutely nothing he would do to jeopardise it in anyway. Working on being okay with this.
DH and I probably hugged each other about 10 times after our scan. I could see DH was visibly relieved that everything was perfect.
Next official scan is scheduled for 17 May. A bit later than 2 weeks as my DH is only returning from his trip on 14 May and I would like him to be there. I am excited to see our little one again and see how much s/he has grown. Time will tell if I will be able to wait that long ;-)
PS: Uploaded our only scan pic of our little one. There is very little to see though.
23 Comments on 6 w 1 d The Perfect Scanreila
- Tuesday, 4 May Can you ask your doctor if it would hurt to keep taking it until week 12? And tell him you trust him 100% perhaps you just wanted to know if its okay to continue taking it to calm your fears. I'm sure he'd understand where you are coming from if you explain. Especially if you tell him you trust him and think he's a great doctor. emma1989
- Tuesday, 4 May so happy for you! you deserve it after all you have been through pol
- Tuesday, 4 May YEEEEEE HAAAAA!!!! So exciting! pol
- Tuesday, 4 May YEEEEEE HAAAAA!!!! So exciting! feefees a mom 2 be
- Monday, 3 May *singing the Hallelujah chorus* Yay for GREAT news!! I am sooooo happy everything is progressing nicely. I'll be back around the 17th so please, pretty please post another scan pic!! Awesome, awesome news!! christinesc
- Monday, 3 May Your blog just makes my heart sing. I am so happy for you! And your doctor and nurses are SO supportive! How lucky are you!?!? But then again...you deserve THE very best. I look foward to your many beautiful blogs about the days to come. Take care, Liz! xx firstmommy08
- Monday, 3 May I'm so glad all went well with the scan! I can imagine the weight that came off your shoulders to see the little flickering heartbeat. Bless you & little baby!! I am surprised that he's quitting at 8 weeks with the progesterone...even both of the specialist I've seen both agree to keep it til 10 weeks and then there is a possibility (if need be) to even go til week 24 my new doc told me. I hope he checks your progesterone BEFORE he takes you off of it. Much love, Sam Abigails Mommy
- Monday, 3 May So exciited and pleased for you my friend! MrsStrickland74
- Monday, 3 May Sounds wonderful! You are very blessed to have such a great and considerate doctor. Free2bmom
- Monday, 3 May Congratulations! That sounds exactly like what every couple wants to hear. I'm so glad it went good. Take care! 240310
- Monday, 3 May :) I really am so happy for you!! A Christmas baby.. how exciting!!! x x shawshoo
- Monday, 3 May What a relief! I'm so happy for you! Savvy
- Monday, 3 May I am so happy for u and ur DH. God bless u and ur bean. Take care and enjoy being preg. soon 12 wks will be over and then u will be even more happy. lots of love and hugs. .... Savvy and Emma. CANdiceHARDon
- Monday, 3 May Yah for perfect scans and wonderful news. xox Mummy-to-two-girls
- Monday, 3 May So happy for you hun, i really am. Such a special time of year to have your baby, Congrats again xx firstlittleangel
- Monday, 3 May I love the sound of the swishing heartbeat, it's the best ever. Congrats again hun this is your time, a wonderful christmas baby! butterfly-angel
- Monday, 3 May Congrats!! Isin't it the most amazing feeling??!!! rubylove
- Monday, 3 May Yay I am so happy to hear the great news!what a wonderful dr. you have! Hugz! Freespirit
- Monday, 3 May So please for you hunny, you are going to have the perfect little bubba! I just know it xxx MrsMommy2
- Monday, 3 May Yay!!! So excited for you this is wonderful news!!! Im so glad they are being considerate of your feelings that is wonderful. A lot of places act like you are crazy and don't understand how it feels to lose a baby and how nerve wracking it can be on you constantly thinking somethings wrong. So im glad they are being very understanding of that! I'm sure your doctor has a good reason for you to use the progesterone up to 8 weeks. However, my doctor had me use it up to 12 weeks with both my boys however my levels were very low im not sure what it was with wyatt but I know with owen it was 13.5 sarahmomof5
- Monday, 3 May That is such a wonderful story Hun ...I honestly cried to read it....How good you must feel at this point/ Congrats that everythign is on schedule and going as planned....that is wonderful....wonderful to have such a gift at Christmas time.......sticky baby dust to you hang on to your tummy and give it a lil rub for me. Enjoy every minute of your pregnancy. Big hugs frrom Canada :-) wilmie
- Monday, 3 May Oh yippee! And you are over 1/2 way to the safe mark! I bet you never even thought of giving birth, never mind normal or c-section! And the nursery and all that jazz! Let the planning begin! LOL DiandClover
- Monday, 3 May Perfection!! Hey,you promised a scan pic! lol ;)