Write a new blog
|13-3-2009 - Gestational Diabetes and other stressers
||My mood while writing this blog:|
I went in for my three hour screening yesterday for GD and, just like last time, my results were less than desireable.
What your sugar level should be: What my sugar level was at:
Fasting: Under 100; 85 - good
1hr after drinking crap: Under 180; 184 - close, but not good enough
2hrs after drinking crap: Under 150; 174 - WAY TOO HIGH
3hrs after drinking crap: Under 140; 84 - what the hell? Looks great now!
These are pretty much the exact same results I had with my last pregnancy & then I had to go see a diabetic specialist and a nutritionist. We set up a meal plan where I had to count carbs as follows (15grams of carbs = 1 carb exchange)
- Meal 1 = 1-2 carb exchanges
- Meal 2 = 2-3 carb exchanges
- Meal 3 = 3-4 carb exchanges
- Meal 4 = 1-2 carb exchanges
- Meal 5 = 3-4 carb exchanges
- Meal 6 = 1-2 carb exchanges
I am guessing I'll have to follow that same diet for the next four and a half months, but the doctor hasn't called me yet. I avoided giving myself insulin shots the first time around so I'm hoping to avoid it again this time. It's not even the eating six meals a day & counting carbs thing that is bothering me. I know I can do that & I know it will go away after the baby is born so that is fine.
What is bothering me is that I am way too busy in my life right now to deal with all of this shit. After I found out I had GD last time I had to go to the doctor twice a week for non-stress tests. I do not have the time to do this now at all. Last time I was only working full time. This time I am working full time, attending school full time, raising a 20 month old son, & running a bowling league. Going to the doctor twice a week for twenty weeks, plus my regular check-ups with my doctor, and the appointments I am going to need with the dieticians and diabetic specialists are going to be too much.
Last time I was pregnant, I was working 40 hours a week - now I only work 35. My husband was working full-time, now he's in college & barely making any money. We had renters in our basement paying us money. Now we have the whole house to ourselves - which I definitely enjoy, but no extra money coming in.
Between the lack of time in my life & the shortage of money, I have no idea how we get by as it is & then to add something that requires so much extra time & money (in planning adequate meals & additional appointments) is really stressing me out.
I know that we will be fine - I am just so ready for my life to settle down a little bit. Ben graduates in November and will hopefully find a good paying job, but in the meantime, we are scraping by & living on faith.
I honestly only take home $700 every two weeks. He is lucky if he brings home $400 every two weeks. Our mortgage alone is over $1200. Then there is our truck payment, credit card debt, timeshare (yeah we're stupid), utilities, and other general expenses, gas & groceries, and entertainment. If you add it all up - it equals - NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO GET BY! It is amazing that we have squeaked by this far without missing any payments or borrowing money from anyone. I have such a strong faith that everything will work out OK, and God sure seems to be making it happen for us. I am not sure how or why, but I am sure appreciative that it is working.
Anyways, sorry for the rambling - I just have so much on my mind & don't exactly know how to handle it all at once. Thanks for all of your support!
3 Comments on Gestational Diabetes and other stressersHelenP
- Tuesday, 19 May Hi Andrea just read your blog about GD, I failed my first test and have just been for my second test this morning, will get results on friday. Am so nervous its going to come back positive, trying to be optimistic but just have a bad feeling im going to fail this test. just have no clues what i will be able to eat, i love sweet things!!! Savvy
- Friday, 13 Mar Hi there, don't worry too much about the diabetis, i am going true the same thing as well as taking insulin 5 times a day. Also i know how stressful financial problems can be, we are having a tough time right now as well, but God is there and He will look over us..take it easy. prettybird
- Friday, 13 Mar All I can say is...Thank the Lord the weekend is here. I hope you don't work weekends and can find some time to relax and just be pregnant. :)