Write a new blog
|05-1-2011 - Telling the world – And being told not to !
||My mood while writing this blog:|
We’re pregnant. 4 HPT have confirmed that and they can’t call be wrong. After sitting down and working out my LMP, my O date and alike, I’ve worked out I am about 5 weeks and due 06/09/11. A Virgo Baby!
It’s Tuesday and I am back at work. DH and I agreed we won’t tell anyone for 2 weeks. 2 weeks?! Are you kidding?! Why 2 weeks? That’ll make me 7 weeks, what the hell is so much better about 7 weeks than 5? Still, I agreed with him and I won’t break a promise .... Well not one that he’ll find out about! ;-)
I’m driving to work and stop for petrol. Before I know it, I’ve told the check out attendant, it was an accident, sort of. Oops. Oh well, I justify it by telling myself this random guy doesn’t know anyone from my friends or family, so it’s no harm. I arrive at work and say nothing. I start my days work and before I know it I’ve budgeted every dollar between now and the birth, I’ve written a list of names, a list of things to buy, who to tell, what to do and when. Lists, lists, list! I think I even wrote a list of what lists I need to write! Did I mention I am only 5 weeks pregnant?
Being at work is almost all that I can bear! Who wants to concentrate when I could be at home stuffing pillows up my shirt to see what I’ll look like in 6 months! Work! Humph! No thanks! So, I ask to leave early! I tell my boss I have a Dr appointment because I’m pregnant. Oooops! I slipped, again! (It feels so good to tell people). I leave and head to the Dr expecting to be booked in for a dating scan, have a blood test (just to be positive I’m positive) and talk about nutrition and all that stuff. But, no. I got a big smile and then he asked me for my dates and LMP.
“You’re about 5 weeks and due early September”. Oh really? No shit Einstein! There are 532186956987 websites out there that all told me the same thing. Now, kind Doctor, if you don’t mind, please tell me; am I having a boy or girl, will they be healthy, exactly when will I go into labour, will I crave ice-cream and pickles and when will I win lotto to pay for this little peanut?
The Dr then gives me a referral to the women’s hospital and an appointment slip for my first scan – on 28/02/11 – Ah Hum, excuse me, you mean I do not get to see my fertilised egg for practically another 2 months! Oh buddy, I don’t think so! I ask for a scan earlier and he says I do not need one. I beg to differ!
I leave the Doctor disappointed I don’t get an earlier scan but pleased that for all intents and purposes I am fit and healthy and so is the tiny little thing inside me. After the doctor I head to target just to window shop. $140 later, I have baby clothes in my hand. What just happened? It was like I entered a vortex, I wasn’t there. I walked into the shop and next thing I know I am back at my car with arms full of baby clothes. Oh dear! I go straight home and hide them. I don’t want anyone including DH to know, they’ll think I’m crazy. Hell, I think I’m crazy! Did I mention I’m only 5 weeks?
DH comes home and I told him all about my appointment. Then I beg to tell people – at least the parents. Plllleeeeeeaaaassseeee! Yippy! I get my way (as usual.) We decide to tell just the parents. I think of an imaginative way to tell the parents. In a gift bag I have put one newborn disposable nappy and a newborn singlet. Words are not necessary.
Telling both sets of parents went a little like this. – The mums specifically.
Open the present, look puzzled. Look at the present, look at us. Look at the present, scream. Hug us, cry, cry, cry, jump up and down, scream, sit down, swear, and drink hard liquor!
For DH parents, this is their 1st grandchild, for mine, it’s their 3rd but the other 2 are now 10.
Now, the best part about telling the parents? DH sister was there which means she was told at the same time as his parents, so it goes without saying that my 2 sisters now need to know! Yes! In a couple of phone calls I will have officially told 9 people! Suckers!
Let me take you back to telling my parents. The first question my dad asked is how far along I was? It’s early I say, about 5 weeks. I then justify telling them so early that I don’t believe in the 12 week rule and I want my close friends and family to know etc. My dad responds with “Well you’re not just a little bit pregnant Alaina, you’re pregnant. You might as well tell people”. He then went on and told me that he and mum told people straight away. He said they simply told people “Lynda has tested positive for pregnancy”.
Too funny! My dad is very matter of fact and somewhat formal. Bless.
Now, I call my sister Cara first whom I have an exceptionally close relationship with. We are 6 years apart but often joke that we were twins but I got stuck in the womb. I am nervous to tell her as I know she too desperately wants a baby. She was thrilled.
Now, my other sister, Tamsin. Our relationship has been turbulent in my adult life. As a child I was very close to her, she is 10 years older than me, but since becoming a teen and now in my late 20s, something doesn’t quite mesh. We love each other and I very much enjoy her company and look up to her, but we’re not besties. She too was thrilled and asked the usual, how far along. 6 weeks I say (thinking that inflating it to 6 weeks might soften what I know is about to happen)
“Is that all? Don’t go telling every man and his dog. You should wait till 12 weeks, you’re barely pregnant.” ..
Gee, thanks Tam!
So there you have it, to tell or not to tell. At this point we’ve told only immediate family including grandparents. The reactions are mixed about how soon we’re sharing the news but my attitude is: It’s my pregnancy and I’ll tell if I want too.
I am pregnant. I am 5 weeks. Whether I tell you at 8, 12 or 30 weeks, the news won’t change, I AM GROWING A BABY!
11 Comments on Telling the world – And being told not to ! stacka
- Saturday, 8 Jan Your blog made me laugh! Congrats to you guys. We are from Melb too ;o) It's a bummer how we dont get any early ultrasounds. I wanna see my bubba NOW! cnjsmum
- Thursday, 6 Jan Bless u! What a gorgeous story. I really enjoyed reading it! You have a huge smile pasted across my face!!! Baby-Fever
- Thursday, 6 Jan Ya!!! I told everyone when I was 3 weeks pregnant! It was impossible for me to keep my mouth shut. I hope you enjoy telling everyone and all people have different opinions about waiting so expect that on occassion people will tell you that you should be waiting. It is totally up to you guys. Congrats on the little bean that you are growing you guys will be awsome parents! korae
- Thursday, 6 Jan Lol Loved reading this I felt the EXACT same way and found myself telling random ppl that came into my work as well.....anyway CONGRATS to you and your husband!!! DiandClover
- Thursday, 6 Jan Aw, poo Tam! Rain on the parade! lol - the way I see it, the same circle of close friends and family I share my early pregnancy news with would also be the same circle to know if something were to go wrong, so I would be waiting no later than 6 weeks to share the news. I loved reading this blog - had me smiling the whole way through (especially the dr. appt!) Take care hun, and enjoy the ride! lisad11784
- Thursday, 6 Jan awww im glad everything went well with telling everyone! Good luck and a happy 8 more months to you! ♥Heather♥
- Wednesday, 5 Jan WooooHooooo I told all my immediate family & bestie all as soon as i found out. But refrained telling everyone til a bit later, i actually forgot to tell a few distant friends til like 18 weeks LOL HelluvaAngel
- Wednesday, 5 Jan We have always told the immediate family as soon as we know also, and hell don't feel crazy about buying the baby stuff. I buy things even when I am not pregnant. LOL! letthisonestick
- Wednesday, 5 Jan Well, all I can say is it's to bad you're not more excited ;) So what you haven't gotten the phonebook out and started randomly telling strangers? damnkat
- Wednesday, 5 Jan You are sooo funny!!! I had to restrain myself as well from buying things. You have to keep this up, it is very entertaining to read!!! Just wish I was pregnant as well!!! refinnejlee
- Wednesday, 5 Jan LMAO...you kill me!!!!!!!! Congrats, you are going to be a riot to be pregnant with!