Write a new blog
|31-5-2011 - MIL, DH & Check Up! Arrrggggh!!!
||My mood while writing this blog:|
Happy as Larry
MIL, DH and Check Up! Arrrrgggggh !!!
Hello all you MILFs and MILFS to be out there! I am in an exceptionally good mood today, surprising considering how tired I am!
So, I have a few things to share so bare with me! I shall relay it all in order.
I went bowling with my best friend, we had sooo much fun. That’s all I have to say.
I cleaned the house top to tail – one of my many arrrggghhh this house is filthy moments! Anyway, once it was done I got in the urgent desperate mood to set up the nursery. As some of you know I picked out and lay buy’d the furniture ages ago and my in laws were paying it off as a gift to us. Well, I was so sick of waiting. I made DH ring his mum and arrange for her to pay it off so I could pick it up that same day. I felt bratty and a bit selfish, but dammit, I was ready to set the room up, I wanted to set the room, I HAD to set the room up!
So, MIL and I went to the store and OMG what happened next left me in tears. We were walking around and MIL was like “you’ll need this, and this, and that, and two of those” …. I broke down in the store! I couldn’t believe she was being so generous. I mean I could as that what his family is like, so giving and caring, but it all overwhelmed me! I cried and gave her a big hug!
We then drove round to the back where the storemen loaded my 4x4 to the brom with furniture, bedding, linen, toys and clothes! It was awesome!
I then drop MIL at home and things go a little south! She tells me that she is very worried about Scooter my cat. She is worried that he will smother the baby and it is her greatest fear! She thinks getting the cat was worse thing we could have done and wants me to get rid of him… Yeah OK, never mind my 60kg Rottweiler who is not very friendly and I am sure would love to snack on children if we let him …
OMG ladies, I lost my shit! First of all DH bought me scooter 18 months ago when I was struggling to overcome our loss and realized our likely long journey to parenthood due to fertility issues. Scooter is more than my cat, he symbolizes so much for me and for all intense and purposes, he is my baby!
Anyway, I started yelling at MIL. “You think I need this stress – stop saying stuff like that – how irresponsible do you think I am – I am not stupid” etc. I spent a good 10 minutes justifying how I will ensure the baby is protected from the cat.
Don’t get me wrong ladies, I know cats have been known to sleep in cots and tragically smother children, but the fact is I don’t allow the cat in the baby’s room now so as he doesn’t get used it. I will close the door (which has a safety catch) every time the baby is sleeping – first ensuring the cat hasn’t snuck in. When bubby is awake it will be in a bouncer / play matt with my constant vigil.
ARGH! After such a wonderful day she royally pissed me off!
**IF any of you have had newborns and cats, please let me know about your experiences and what you did to ensure the worst didn’t occur**
My besty and I put together the nursery furniture and put the clothes away etc. I asked DH for his opinion about room set up but he was pretty nonchalant about it. Basically he said (which is the truth) 80% of the time I will be the one using the room, feeding, changing bubs etc so it is important for me to set it up in a manner that will be functional for me!
He did have one brilliant idea though! Let’s get a giant pot and pot plant for the corner of the room? DH now has a big bruise on his arm from my punch! Ladies, have you ever heard of such a ridiculous idea?! Good idea if we have a mansion and the kid’s room is large enough, but for now, in our quant modest house, it would stand out like donkeys balls! LOL!
Second to his epic fail plant idea, DH questioned why I took all of “his” stuff out of the cupboard. You should know ladies for the last 8 years; this baby room has been a junk storage room”. I explained that this room is no longer our junk room; it is our child’s room. Our child who will need its own space, hangers, drawers and belongings. I explained I do not want our child to be crammed into whatever corner of the room it fits in around all our mess.
DH laughed saying things like “it is going to be a few years before baby knows this is its room and cupboard etc. For now my briefcases and bike parts can stay in the bottom of the cupboard. Baby will not know”.
ARGH! How hard is it to understand you stupid man, something inside me is demanding that this room be turned into the baby’s room and NOW! I cannot have you’re crap in here! I need it to be perfect!
Ahhh hormones! X
Needless to say, I won the battle! He may not know it, but I have! I have found new homes for all his shit :-)
**I’ve added a couple photos of the décor – the room itself is yet to be completed – I need to add the wall decorations and get something to put on the chest of drawers**
DH took all the cardboard boxes to the paper recycling plant near us. We were unloading the boxes from the boot when, completely my fault, I stepped back and tripped on the curb and fell on my bum! I was in so much pain in my hands as I used them to break the fall. DH didn’t help me up, because his hands were full, but he did ask if I was OK.
I gave him the silent treatment. I continued to unload the car then sat in the passenger seat, not saying a word. DH gets in and asks what’s wrong.
Then it happened …. Tears welling in my eyes ….. throat thickening and closing up …… I explode into a fit to tears and anger! It hurt so bad but it was ALL his fault. (Mind you he was no where near me and I tripped through clumsiness). I am yelling at him “You got in my way – it were shoving me with the boxes – you distracted me” Blah Blah Blah!
I’ll say it again ladies; Ahhh hormones! X
And finally, to finish my blog:-
Off to my 24 week appointment. Let me sum it up.
- Couldn’t find a park
- Waited 2 hours to be seen
- Was seen by a numb nut midwife who wasn’t normally there but was asked to cover some patients as they were so far behind
Reasons why I thought she was a numb nut
- She couldn’t find the heartbeat - someone else came in and founf it first go!
- She couldn’t tell which direction the baby was in. She said it was too small to determine. I asked how that was possible when at my 20wk checkup they felt the head and bum etc and told me where it was sitting.
- She referred to my baby having a genetic disorder “turners syndrome” – which was in fact my previous pregnancy loss.
- It took her 3 goes to do my blood pressure – no idea why
- She dismissed all my questions about sore breasts, puffy hands and a rash I have.
- She wrote all the notes in my history section rather than the current
- She incorrectly filled out the pathology request forms.
Ladies, it’s all trivial, I realize, but I have built a lovely report with the other midwives I see that she just made me flustered! She didn’t appear inexperienced or flustered, she just seemed dumb!
Anyway, she went through my blood results from when I was in emergency last week and I have very low iron levels. She explained this is likely to be the reason why I feel so tired. I am now on 20 milligrams of liquid iron supplement per day.
I can’t wait to see if it does improve my energy as I am sick and tired of being so tired!
After this appointment I was scheduled in for the Glucose test at 28 weeks and also for the birthing/parenting classes.
All up I am attending 6 classes:-
- General Seminar, get to know you, what now type session
- Labour One
- Labour Two plus hospital tour
- Breast Feeding
- Newborn & Parenting
- The family at home
Thanks for reading ladies.
Love to you all, as always x
12 Comments on MIL, DH & Check Up! Arrrggggh!!! HelluvaAngel
- Thursday, 2 Jun Wow that was so nice of your MIL. I don't get along with mine. SHE'S CRAZY! My mom took me on a shopping spree like that when I was pregnant with Rio. It was AWESOME! About the cat, what I have always done when we first set up the crib is buy 2 sided tape and put on the top of the crib cris crossed. So that if they were to jump into it they would get cover with tape and scared about going near the furniture. I have also put it on the rocker or anything else I don't want them to lay on. It has always worked for us. Good luck. katmoma
- Thursday, 2 Jun your mil sounds so loving and generous about this new baby thats realy nice concidering how she could be, like on the loving but no so generous part... hun i would not be to stressed about your cat. you are your babies mum and you know wast best.. when katie was born there was a cat in the house and we never had any problems. ps also i think dh geting you your cat was the lovliest thought with how you were havign troubling falling pregnant and all. its giving me a idea about geting one hehe.. jfer
- Wednesday, 1 Jun I seem to be the odd one out but with my daughter i did the same thing...we never let the cat in the bedroom always were around the baby etc... but one day I had my daughter on a play mat in the living room and went into the kitchen for 2 minutes came back and the cat was sleeping on her face. I chased the cat off and she was totally fine but the cat went to live at my moms house till my daughter was stong enough to push her off and then we brought it home. They are the best of buds now. I have sent the cat off already for this baby but it will come home as soon as this baby is moving around on it's own.No matter how vigulant you are you can't watch baby 24\7. mommy to Noah and Runa
- Wednesday, 1 Jun Hi. I completely stumbled across this by hitting the wrong thing but I am glad I did. We have 3 cats. Had them prior to the babies and obviously after the babies. We had no problems. We keep the door shut and use a monitor. The cats never tried to jump on either baby in the bassinet either. My son is now 2 and a half and we are transitioning to a twin size bed. His favorite of the three cats now goes up and sleeps with him when he first goes to bed and he LOVES it. We take her out before we go to bed. She doesn't try to lay on his face or anything like that. She either curls up on the end of his bed or behind his legs. Our cats wanted nothing to do with the babies when they were really little. Just takes a little vigilance and you will be fine. crazyfornumber3
- Wednesday, 1 Jun I have had cats with newborns..yes you do have to be more careful but I have friends with dogs and that worries me more honestly. I put my cat in the bathroom every night with her food and special blanky and she loves it. You may want to try to get him used to that so it wont be such a shock when baby comes , it would just make your life easier..trust me . You wont have time to "make sure the cat isnt in the room etc..." You have no idea how annoying my MIL can be. Yes you love them but it's hard cuz every gift has it's price..lol. kimkayb
- Wednesday, 1 Jun That is so great that your MIL did all of that for you! My husbands mom & grandparents are all like that so I can't wait until we get pregnant. Don't worry about your cat. I had a cat when I had my daughter and she never ever went near her. Darn myths anyways! Sorry about your midwife numb nut. What the heck? I would write the office & complain. Do you get whoever is on call when you are in labor? ♥Heather♥
- Tuesday, 31 May Aww how lovely my inlaws were so generous too we were so lucky. Its continued as Seth grows up they love supporting Seth and buying him things. At first i felt weird as my family are not like they, but i had to let go of feeling bad and realise it was the way they showed love. As for the cat thing we dont have one but we have 2 dogs and they are fine around Seth and always have been. My Parents & my Inlaws both have cats and we have never had any dramas with the cats going near Seth or anything... worst thing is on occassion we would fine one of the cats snuggled upto a blanket or on a soft plush toy etc but thats harmless in my opinion. Your MIL sounds a little overreacting. Men take a little while to warm upto the baby coming.. like my partner really was in denial up til the last minute. Setting up the nursery was definately more my thing than his, he just carried all the heavy stuff. damnkat
- Tuesday, 31 May I have photos of me in my cradle(when I was a baby) with a great big cat snuggled up in there too. My mum and Dad are both vets so animals have always been a part of our life. When I was pregnant with DD#1 we started chasing the cat out of baby's room when I was about 5 mths pregnant, so by the time baby was here the cat was too scared to go near the baby's room. My cat would always sit up on my belly while pregnant. It was an ownership thing. She seemed to know when I was pregnant. Unfortunately our cat Stiffy was run over by a car and killed 3 weeks ago. Tamarahope
- Tuesday, 31 May I had 3 cats when I brought DS home and they were terrified of him. Like letthisonestick said it took a month or more before they would even get close enough to look at him. None of them ever jumped in his crib as I had it set up for about 6 weeks before he arrived and never let them climb in it. I have 2 cats now and am not worried in the slightest. stacka
- Tuesday, 31 May I never had an issue with any cat going near our babies, EVER. and about the parking and waiting at the hospital, man that sucks! We struggle with it everytime! Waiting for 2 hours to be seen is the worst. I'm there on the 21st and dreading it. toomanyyrs
- Tuesday, 31 May Wow, what a time you had. I sure hope that things turn around for you soon hun. letthisonestick
- Tuesday, 31 May Cats smothering children is a myth! Many cot death children were blamed on cat. I brought home a 3 pound 11 ounce baby and had 2 cats. A few months after having him at home 1 cat was brave enough to sniff him. Both cats have since gone and I have a new kitty. I have no problem bringing my newborn home to him. They do make mesh tents that fit over the crib so that a cat can't get in. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BVJM5S/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000056HLX&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S4WVC69DWEWQ93752DB Good luck the hormones come in waves.