Write a new blog
|27-10-2009 - I got the H1N1 Vaccine
||My mood while writing this blog:|
I was so conflicted on whether to get this vaccine. However, my job exposes me to so many people and my nieces cough on me and I panic in crowds because I do not know who has the flu and is going to give it to me. After my doctor told me that third trimester pregnant women are dying of the swine flu more than any other class and I saw on t.v. the hell babies can go through because mom had swine flu during birth, I made my decision. I also factored in that a friend of mine got the regular flu (she was a stay-at-home mom) in her 8th month of pregnancy. The baby had to be taken by c-section because of mom's fever and when the baby was almost one, he was still not sitting up and has been developmentally behind and special needs since. He also has severe hearing problems. I just don't want to get something I can't fight and put the baby at risk. Also, I asked every mother I knew whether she got the flu shot while pregnant since the H1N1 is the exact same shot. The flu strain in the flu shot is different every year which is why you have to get one every year. However, everything else is the same. All the mommies I knew, and those on this site, responded that their children were not developmentally behind regardless that they had gotten the shot. Lastly, if I get sick then I have no one to take care of the baby, or me, or my sickly cats and my boss would not give me paid time off work. As such, I got the flu shot. So far, my arm feels fine and so do I. It was really scary to sign the consent form and I almost backed out and then I remembered Cathy's son and got the shot. If I can get a thermosal free regular flu shot, then I am going to get that too. I have never had a flu shot before today and am pretty much at peace with my decision. Best of luck to all the mommies that get the shot and those that don't.
6 Comments on I got the H1N1 Vaccinecarlsonlove757
- Tuesday, 10 Nov Hi! I am researching now different moms here who have had the shot and who have not had the shot. I am about 10 weeks preg now. I was not going to get the shot, but now that I am preg I feel that I should. Well, I don't feel that I should, but I am scared either way. My Q is, where did you hear or read that the H1N1 is thimersol free? All the info I have read states that it does have it. Thanks!! I ♥ Anderson
- Thursday, 29 Oct good thanks for posting this - I respect your opinion, going to Dcotors this Fri, depending what the vibe in the clinic is - I may well get it too :) mammaamy
- Tuesday, 27 Oct Hi I'm from week 21 and came across your blog. I also got the vaccine yesterday. I too was very opposed, but in my country quite a few pregnant ladies have died. This is not what i've heard on the news, it's close friends thast work in the emergency room and have eye witnessed some really sad stuff, where baby and mom both die or just baby.. Either way I don't want to risk it, plus i am and have already been exposed to it, luckily i have not gotten sick, and yeah maybe i would have been lucky, but thats a lot of "what ifs". I do think people are a little paranoded, but we should be we are pregnant. If I wasn't i wouldn't get it, but I have a ot more too loss. Plus women have delivered babies after being vaccinated and there are no known problems.. So I think you made an educated decision and I wish you all the best with your pregnancy.. alittle88
- Tuesday, 27 Oct I think doctors are trying to prevent a "worldwide Panic" before the flu season starts. Isnt it called prevention? I researched maternal death rates. I researched how long it's really been around and used, especially in pregnant women and I was comfortable with my decision to get it. It's a personal choice and nobody needs to come on this website and make someone else feel like a stupid fool for making the decision to get it or to not get it. heidismummy
- Tuesday, 27 Oct glad everything seems to be good with you. its a difficult decision to make. i personally believe that they are scaring people into it, fear is the biggest power over people and im pretty sure they know that. if it really did up the death rate in late term pregnant women then i seriously think there would be worldwide panic for pregnant women and it would interesting to know where that particular doctor got that information from. as you can guess i am more of a sceptic, i believe injecting people with the virus isnt always the best option for everybody and have had the unfortunate experience of knowing of and meeting people who have been severely affected through vaccinations. but i dont want to preach, i just think we as individuals should perhaps not be so naive into believing everything a doctor says, particularly in cases like swine flu when its only been out 5 minutes so how could they possibly know everything about it and how safe it is in such a short, short time. best of luck to all women who choose to just go ahead with it, its a difficult choice to make. nopey
- Tuesday, 27 Oct Good For you you!! I hope it works out on our best interest... I got the seasonal flu and the H1N1 free of thermosal and I feel just fine! GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!!!