Write a new blog
|11-2-2010 - Abbigail needs prayers
||My mood while writing this blog:|
worried, tired and sad
hey everyone, sorry I haven't commented in a while. Been cray busy. Abbigail has been sick..throwing up after each feeding. tests were run on her, ultrasounds and we even had an ER visit. They deemed it upper gastro reflux and she is now on medication. Doesn't help 100% but she is getting btr. Deal is she is very underweight She was 8 p 10 oz at birth and here she is, at 7 weeks old and only 7p 12oz. She lost a LOT of weight and is strugglingg to put it back on. She even has flaps in her skin where the fat is supposed to be...my 7 week old baby has sagging skin in her arms and legs.
Everything else she is doing well on! She has hit her 1st milestones....smiling, cooing, etc. She is generally a happy baby and Dr said other than the reflux/vominting issue she is healthy.She just looks younger than she is cause of the weight issue. he is now 22 inches...a long baby!
In the meantime I had to go back to work on graveyard shift. I hate it, but it had to be done. Hubby works days and I cnt do evening shift cause there would be 30 min where o one is there to watch the kids. So I took graveyard..8p-5am as we feel Abbigail does not need to be n daycare with her health issues. So basically I try to sleep when baby sleeps. 3 hours in the morn, than she is up for an hour of playtime. After playtime I do housework..maybe grab another 30 min of rest in and then we go pick up my oldest from school.
So things have gotten busy here. Abbigail needs meds 4 times a day and it has to be 30 min either before or after eating. She also has to sit up 30 min after each feeding and be burped every 5 min. Plus we found out I wasn't producing enuff breastmilk so I now have to supplement with 4 oz of formula each feeding. We do all this and she still hurts and throws up..but not as bad.
Currently she is constipated...hasn't gone in 2 days. hey said if no BM by 2morrow morn then we get admitted to childrens hosp in OKC for more tests and monitoring as obviously more is going on than thought. And they are concerned bout the fact she is 7 weeks and not even at her birth weight yet. Please, for everyone who prays...add miss Abbigail to ur prayer list ok? Thanks
5 Comments on Abbigail needs prayerscharlihadley
- Friday, 12 Feb also i forgot to add....that my son...he wouldn't throw up nessesarly after every feeding....it was when his stomach was full it would all come up...so he could hold about 2 oz down for a few hours...but the next feeding of 2 oz or 3.....when he would drink that...it would finish filling up his belly and he would throw it up...so watch out for that also!...if you can tell she throws up more than the feeding you just fed her!..its scary..and ihope its something easily treated for your daughter...i konw tis soo scary! charlihadley
- Friday, 12 Feb funny...it was this time 2 years ago that we were going through this...my hubby & I spent our first Valentines Day together in the PICU...memories!! we started dating in feb. after v-day were married in July...baby in Jan...that's how that happened hahaha all went perfect & now he is a crazy full of energy 2y/o & we are expecting our 2nd son....I know more than you wanted to know!! charlihadley
- Friday, 12 Feb If she hasn't had an upper GI....you just might ask to have one....just FYI...we were sent to a town 2 hours away & had a consult w/an pediatric GI...a sono was the first test they did on my son....we were told...everything was just fine...no pyloric stenosis....they were going to send us home on reglan, a special formula & order to have a upper GI in our home town...my mom stepped in at that point...she had been letting my hubby & myself to deal w/the dr....it was our place to do that....she just told the dr.....no...please don't send us home...this baby is going down hill fast...he is worse today than he was yesterday...he is dehydrated, getting lethargic, hasn't eaten since yesterday & hasn't even cried for a bottle....his diaper has been on since 5am & it is dry as a bone....we don't do upper GI in our town...your office was highly recommened to us....please do the upper GI today...please don't send us home please...the dr. said ok...he made the arrangements & an hour later we were getting the upper GI done...he projectiled vomited up the barium after 10 min's w/o any drainage from the stomach to the intestines, we were sent on our way...my mom said that we were going back to the dr. office...but before we could go across town the dr. called us....he told my mom that indeed it was pyloric stenosis & that we needed to get him to the Childerns ER now...the staff was waiting on us & our surgeon... Dr. Goldthorn will be down there to see him shortly...go straight there....as soon as we walked in...they were waiting on us we went straight back...my son was so sick...dehydrated, electrolyes were off had a heart murmur...he had to be seen by the pedi cardiologist to be cleared for surgery which they couldn't do until he was rehydrated & his electrolytes were rebalanced...he was in PICU for 5 days...it's amazing what IV fluid can do for a baby....that is when I realized how dehydrated & sickly he looked....my mom was alarmed by some pic's I put up she hadn't seen my son in 2 days since the last time I had him at the dr.'s....she called me told me to get to the dr. now!! I'm like we don't have appointment & he's been there 3 times in the last week in a half...she said she talked to the dr. & we could come in w/out an appointment...so they kinda were trying to make light of things.... first time mom...but when they put hiim on the scales & he dropped even more weight thats when they made arrangements for us to go to the pedi GI for the next morning... nopey
- Thursday, 11 Feb sooo sorry to read such of bad news... I really hope she gets better SOON!! She's in my prayers... God bless your angel. charlihadley
- Thursday, 11 Feb Poor baby!! Prayers your way!! Did they check her for pyloric stenosis?? sounds just like what we went through!! but at 4 weeks...he was born 7lbs 1oz & at 4 weeks he was 6lbs 8oz projectil vomiting no bowel movements...he had to have surgery for that & was in PICU for 5 days...at first they told me he had reflux....ugh hope to hear she's better really fast!!