1A1V-(Single-Umbilical-Artery)

This topic contains 159 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  lilpigz 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 160 total)
  • Author

hope632010

sunnymom2b thank you for posting and letting us know about your experience with sua. I am trying to stay positive. I am such a healthy individual and this whole thing is puzzling to me. My genetic ultrasound came back normal and even my level II ultrasound, except for the two-vessel cord. Now I have to undergo more ultrasounds and tests because of this and worry like crazy. It is great to know that most babies with 1A1V turn our normal. Have a great pregnancy!

Sunnymom2b

hope – good luck on friday! I think that it is more common that what they have previously thought becuase there are more ultrasounds being done these days. The plus side is when I found out that the baby was growing at a normal (at times bigger than normal), they did more ultrasounds on me and monitorred me more closely. I know it’s hard not to worry. Let me know how it goes!

hope632010

Thanks sunnymom2b! I can’t wait until tomorrow. My husband is such a positive individual and he is not worried. Neither is the rest of the family. But of course, leave it up to mommy to always worry:=) You are right, I think this is more common than people believe. I was shocked to see Umbilical-Hernia listed in the Birth defects & Disorder list and furthermore, that they associate it with Down Syndrome! Mi niece had a little hernia on her belly button and she is extremely healthy and border-line gifted. By the age of five, she could already read! I will post the findings of my cardiologist visit tomorrow. Best wishes to everyone!

Chicana08

I wanted to let everyone know that I had my baby boy Nov 13 2009. He indeed was SUA. He weighed 7lbs 7oz and was full term. He is healthy as can be with no defects what so ever. It seems like there is alot to worry about and I did worry, but this site helped me out. Knowing that I wasn’t alone. Thank you to all and I hope everyone has healthy babies!

hope632010

Just wanted to report that we just came back from the cardiologist’s office. We were diagnosed with a 1A1V at our 20wk scan and although the level II ultrasound showed no signs of congenital disorders our doctor wanted me to have an echocardiogram done to make sure that the SUA did not affect the development of the baby’s heart. The cardiologist told us that our baby’s heart is PERFECT! He even said he does not need to see us after the baby is born unless there are heart issues at birth which he does not anticipate we will have any. We are so relieved and hope that the SUA issue is an isolated issue and not associated with any disorder. Thank you for your support. I will continue to post on my progress. Best wishes for all of you!!!

hope632010

Chicana08, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Thank you for letting us know how things turned out. I am glad your baby is healthy and that you carried full term.

Sunnymom2b

Yay Hope!!! That’s great. Like Chica, I went full term (ended up being enduced) and she was 7lbs 9 oz. I’m glad you can breath easier. Enjoy your pregnancy!

hope632010

Thanks sunnymom2b! It was a great weekend indeed! We got our baby joy back! Although my husband and my mom-in-law are such positive people that they were not worried. I hope I carry full term too. I scheduled our baby shower six weeks before my due date just in case. Although besides the 1A1V issue, my pregnancy is perfect so I hope it continues like this for the next 17 weeks!! I will keep posting my journey here. Thanks so much!! It’s nice to hear from moms who have been there.

mum2be3

I too was diagnosed with SUA at my 20 week scan. I googled and then panicked, along with everyone else. When I saw my Dr, he assurred me that all my morphology results were normal, as was my amnio (I’m 41), so forget about it. No cause for alarm, they now see SUA as a ‘variation of normal’. It is so common. I had a follow up scan at 32 weeks, and all was normal. Kidneys were reviewed and found to be normal and functioning. Here I am now at 35 weeks, and still going strong. I am trying not to worry anymore, what could I do anyway? Just hoping baby turns soon, as he/she is breech. My advise to all is, forget the internet as there is so much negativity on there about this, most of it dated from the 70’s where they assumed SUA meant mega defects. Good luck to all you mommas, with or without SUA. xxx

hope632010

So here is a new update: The SUA is a non issue by now and my doctors are not even talking about it. It is pretty common these days and as someone said before, it is now considered a ‘variation of normal’. I am currently 23 1/2 weeks and the baby is doing great and already weights 1lb and 4oz! The problem now for me is that the other night I started having preterm contractions and was admitted into the hospital. Luckily, my cervix is thick and there are no signs of trouble so the contractions might have been caused by stress. I was sent home with medication to keep the contractions under control and I am currently on bed rest and was asked to limit my activity. I am doing much better and the contractions are under control. I will be monitored weekly but not for the SUA but rather to make sure my cervix remains thick. Good luck to all you moms-to-be. I think it would comforting to you to know that being diagnosed with a SUA is usually a minor issue compared to other pregnancy problems that can come up.

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

hope good luck hope your little one hangs on for anoth 16 weeks for you.
    Mum to be good luck, my little on was breech at 34 weeks but turned by 36 weeks he was just stubborn and didn’t want to come out got evicted in the end.
    Good luck everyone

Laceyk

I am pregnant with my second baby, while talking about family history and what not at the dr. tuesday, they told me my son, who is a happy healthy 18mo. old now, had a 2 vessel cord. They never even told me about it when I was pregnant with him! Oh well, they probably just saved me from alot of worrying. Good luck ladies!

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

Just thought I would share…I had single umbilical artery with my pregnancy and was worried about it, but I had my baby boy last week, 8 lbs 12 oz and as healthy as can be! Don’t let what you read on the net about this worry you!!

hope632010

Thanks xxryans~mummyxx! I haven’t posted in a while because I have been busy working from home. But I am happy to report that I am now a little over 27 weeks. Last time I posted I was 23 1/2 weeks. My little one is doing great! The baby is gaining weight rapidly and is now a little over 2lbs and 3oz. They are not worried about the SUA at all. Like I said, they are more worried about my preterm contractions which seem to act up if I walk too much or engage in too much activity. I am still on medication but the contractions have pretty much disappeared with bed rest. My doctor thinks that if I continue to remain rested that I should be able to carry full term. I will go for gestational diabetes screening next week. Let’s hope I get a healthy bill of health for that. I have been eating chocolate ice cream every day! All-in-all, the pregnancy is going well and the baby has passed all the markers with flying colors. Lets hope it continues that way. May we all carry full term and deliver healthy babies!!

mum2be3

Here’s my update for all you worried SUA mums. I had my healthly baby boy last week, 04 March. He is absolutely perfect. He was born via C Section at 38 weeks because his position was transverse, but he weighed 7lb 7oz, which is what my DD weighed 2 weeks late, so no problems there. The paedeatrician told me not to worry about further follow up kidney scans, as the scans they do at 32 weeks are good enough to show if ethere are any issues, which there weren’t.
    Any new mums diagnosed take heart. It is a variation of normal these days. I know it is hard not to worry, but my boy and many others’ babies on here turned out perfect. Yours will too. Good luck and thanks for the support from everyone on here. xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.