Umbilical-Hernia

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

Umbilical-Hernia

Logansmommy

My son had an UH, he was a preemie and this is common for preemies. He got it around 2 months, and it was cleared up by 6 months.

mollyjs

My son has an umbilical hernia. I am wondering if he will have an outie now or what. Anyone know if this is likely?

Christina

My son has a UH and my father who is a doctor told me that he’ll most likely need to have a surgery to fix the hernia. I am not 100% about that idea. My son is almost 4 months old. How much time should I give it. It used to be HUGE, and now it’s half what is used to be. But I am unsure if it can go down any further.

RobinG

I would get a second opinion ~ my son had one although it was small doc still told me that when they see them they dont do surgery til they are 2. They like to give it that long to close as much as possible and it doesnt hurt them ~ if the 2nd doc says surgery as well it maybe that is is large enough to warrant not waiting ~ do you have a photo of it?

rhonda2579

My daughter also has an umbilical hernia.. she was nearly 7 weeks early and both her pediatrician and neonatologists said that it is something that is very common for preemies and that it should close up over time. It’s pretty much a ‘wait and see’ kind of thing I guess.

hi, my baby was born with a slight hernia and it went away on it’s own, the doctor said it would and his belly button is a flat innie and just perfect now. he is 13 months old but it went away before he was 4 months old.

chloemamma

Both of my sons were born with umbilical hernias, my mother had one, and I had one which had to be repaired after my first pregnancy. My older son had a surgical consult when he was about two and they didn’t think it warrented surgery. He’s now four and has no signs of it. My younger son just turned two in July and still has what looks to me like a signifigant bulge. His doctor isn’t concerned, though. He says it’s still ‘nominal’ and doesn’t even consider it in need of a consult. I’m actually kind of glad he thinks that way- personally, I don’t like the idea of sending my two year old to surgery unless he absolutly needs it. Mine was sore for several weeks after the surgery and I did bed rest. Try telling a two year old to do bed rest! Besides, when my four year old (then three) had his tonsils out, it was rough on him- I think surgery is just tough on little kids, in general.

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

My Little Boy Have’s this and when I first found out that he did I was a little scared but he’s doing so much better it’s like it’s not even there now. Im glad he don’t have to have surgey. At first when I 1st saw it I thought it was a 2nd Penis (LOL) no lie it did look like one. But Im so glad it’s turning into a Regular Belly Button now

i-am-pregnant
    Keymaster

hi i just thought that i would share on here my son got a hernia when he was 9mths old at first when i saw it was like what is that as you could really feel the bugle i was so scared to take him to the doc thinking the worst but turned out was a hernia they say that most boys get them anyways and that they heal before they are 5 after that if it is still there then they will operate my son is now 3 will turn 4 in sept 09 and every now and then when he has a cry it will pop out but will pop back in again after a day he sometimes says his tummy is sore and when i look at it i can see is hernia popping out but other than that he is ok the doc said he is fine but will look at it more when he is 5. o and he likes to poke it too as it makes this funny sound and when he does he laughs

mommy2four

My daughter is 20 months and has this. The doctor is not concerned at this point. He also said that we would wait til she was 5 and then see how it is and decide if surgery is needed. I had this also when I was a kid. I think I had surgery when I was 3 or 4.

My oldest son is 6 now and still has an umbilical hernia. My doctor said that it is possible that it will still go away on its own by the time he 9. Just check to make sure it does not get hard, I am not sure what the significance of that is but so far I can push it in and its not hard.

mollyjs

My son is a year now and his hernia isn’t improving. I took him in for his 12 month visit and the doc recommended a surgeon consult. Cohen’s hernia is a little above his actual belly button so I guess thats why he’s concerned. I just hope we can wait a while for surgery. Not excited about putting my 1yr old through all that.

kristyk

My daughter is 21 months and still has her umbilical hernia. Her dr. says that it should correct itself by the time she is 5 yrs. If it doesn’t they will do surgery.

Laural6531
    Participant

my son had one whn he was born (4wks early) he is nearly 8 months now and its nearly away…………….not to concerned by it as i have lived with a hitus hernia for nearly 30 years and its never caused me any issues apart from maybe being a bit tender now and again x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.