Alcohol

This topic contains 94 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  mommommy2 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)
  • Author

Dree2010

Young-you should be ok. before i found out i was prego..my fiance and i went to a party two weekends in a row and drunk several drinks and even smoked cigs 2 wkds before i found out i was 6 wks prego and i have a healthy 1mth old.

ericakay26

Im really worried! I drank really heavily until I was 9 weeks, (thats when I found out I was pregnant) I mean really heavy. I can say as embarrising as it sounds almost everyday I drank. I’m 17 weeks now and have had ultrasounds but would they even be able to tell if something was wrong with my baby? I have severe anxiety about this. should i worry?

Erica~ I would talk to your doctor about this. I know that it may embarass you to bring it up, but it was an honest mistake and could have happened to anybody if they didn’t know for that long. I’m sure it’s not the worst thing that your doctor has dealt with either. I would accept all of the testing that they offer to look for abnormalities and defects, but even then, it may not catch everything. If you wouldn’t terminate, all that would do is have people prepared for if things were to come out against your favor. I’m sure your doctor would have the best information and advice. I wish you the best of luck, and a happy and healthy pregnancy…and baby!! 🙂

To behonest people think o i drank or smoked and baby was fine when he/she came out, well you gotta think just because the baby came out fine doesnt mean the baby wont have long term effects in school and other activties………. i was a crack baby in came out 8 pound 13 ounces but right now i have a learning dis and i’m adhd plus biopolar so i would say think about it…………

Oh, and if vanity is the only determining factor between abortion and adoption, I got NO stretch marks, LOST weight after giving birth and only showed the last two months, which flew by. I actually hid my pregnancy from people because I was an unmarried teacher and no one was the wiser for the better part of seven months.

I will be very honest and say I have had an abortion and now I think it is silly. I was 17 and my boyfriend was closer to 30 and he was afraid of going to jail so I did it for him. 1. He probably should have gone to jail and 2. all of those horror stories they tell you about having kids are immaterial once you have a baby. I NEVER wanted kids and now I am TTC for another baby! I was on birth control both times and some people are just going to get pregnant no matter what. I was one of those people. My boyfriend who I ended up having a baby with at 24 (different one, thank goodness) wasn’t even supposed to be able to have kids AND I was using sponges and condoms and STILL got pregnant! I considered it fate and had the baby the second time.It changed my life for the better. I had a friend who had a baby at 17 and she is a teacher like me and even teaches the same grade (although I am on leave as a SAHM I LOVE being a mom so much.) Nothing would have panned out worse. NOTHING. I have no idea why I thought it was going to. That gross guy (the 29 almost 30 year old when I was 16 almost 17) is out of my life and only would have been out of it sooner (although I guess I would have been tied to him, but he got another teenager pregnant after me and SHE had the baby and he has no rights to the baby for the psycho things he did so even that might have been solved.) Abortions are a choice but maybe not the best one all the time. I think i having the baby is usually the best choice, especially if the big change of life is the only down side. If there is nothing medical involved with YOU (at only six weeks baby is fine, they told me at 7 weeks not to even worry about all that stuff when I found out I was pregnant) then you are just afraid of change and that is not reason enough IMO.

ria194

I can understand why some people are worried and wary about drinking alcohol before they found out they were pregnant. You need to calm and stay relaxed. A few drinks would not of made any difference. With my first pregnancy i worked at an IVF Unit and i didnt drink at all. At myleaving do the doctors told me it was fine to have a glass of red wine every now and again. I had a glass of red wine at xmas and also when i got engaged. At the moment i am 4 weeks pregnant and i will not drink in the first 12 weeks of pregnany (advice i have been given) but after that i may have a glass of red wine every couple of weeks or few.

frenchie23

You’re only 6 weeks, you have time to quit everything bad you’re doing and baby will be FINE….. Having a child at your age isn’t the easiest thing to do but if you feel ready, you can do it!!! Younger women have done it and still went out and got jobs or education… Have you thought of adoption? You should think of that before you think abortion.. Soo many good couples can’t have kids and would give everything in the world to have a child…. And whatever you do after that, get info on birth control!!!! Abortion should not be used as contraception!!… Good luck, do whatever’s right for you, I hope you get support from your bf with whatever what you descide to do….

feex1982x

Well i am 10 weeks pregnant, moving into 11 weeks tomorrow. I have a 2 year old daughter. I had drank an enormous amount in the first few weeks of being pregnant with her before i found out i was, due to engagments/weddings and birthdays that were all on at the same time. When i discovered i was pregnant i didnt drink anymore until i was 12 weeks, after that i allowed myself one small glass of red wine on a saturday night as a treat after my week at work. It calmed me down,unwound me and was a guilty pleasure. My daughter was born 8lb 3 oz, not low birth weight, went 2 weeks overdue and had to be forced out,not premature labour,and is miles ahead of other kids her age at preschool. My doctor in UK monitored me throughout the pregnancy and in which time my blood pressure barely rose, and he thought that perhaps it was the health benefits of the red wine that helped that happen. I will say i only drank red wine as for me i didnt feel as awful knowing there are proven health benefits too it, and i didnt want to put lager and beer rubbish in my body. I am expecting my next child in may and i have one glass of red wine every 2 weeks, but this time i did no binge drinking as we were TTC. People may think that i am terrible for doing so, but i am a sensible drinker, i at no time become ‘tipsy’, its not something i would recommend anyone to do and whatever someone chooses is up to them. For me i have been fine, but some may not be so lucky. Its such a tricky subject and so contraversial, i guess its what you are comfortable with.

this is such a controversial subject and I know that it is much more taboo in the U.S. than it is in Europe. in the U.S. we are told that even the smallest amount of alcohol could hurt the baby, which really isnt true, it’s a lack of evidence vs. substantial evidence. I do understand erring on the side of caution when it comes to our babies, but red wine has known health benefits when drank sparingly. I’m 37 weeks along and have enjoyed probably 6 glasses of wine this whole pregnancy. I wasnt a heavy drinker in the first place but I was drinking occasionally when I conceived. I really wouldnt drink anything like hard alcohol, mixed drinks etc… but honestly wine has no proven consequences for a developing fetus when drank sparingly. even 5-6 glasses a week is said to do nothing. it’s understandable to want to listen to everything you hear because you want your baby to be 100% healthy, but extreme stress can be said to be unhealthy as well and a happy mom can develop a healthy fetus. So i do splurge once in a while on a glass of wine which helps relax me, and i dont think there is anything wrong with it.

chrissy- i’m not saying that FAS is not a real concern and not a scary one I would never ever drink alcohol in first trimester and not more than occasionally after that. but even one glass of red wine per night in the third trimester is not been found to have any harmful side effects. I have spoken with doctors and nurses during this pregnancy who have admitted nothing has been found or proven about that small of alchohol intake. the only site i can find is http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/concerned-about-alcohol/how-much which states 1-2 units 1-2 times per week which is 4 units max per week. i would personally not even drink this much, but that’s just me.

lesly

why do they say that its okay to drink wine while being pregnant??

MommaKass

lesly… I’m not sure why some say it is ok and some say it is not. Personally I do not drink at all while I am pregnant… I just don’t see the need and personally do not feel that any amount is worth the risk.

Haidamamma

Oooh Controvercial subjects are always entertaining. I love reading everybodies points of views, and adapting mine as I find more information thats reliable!
    Just my own personal opinion, my babies health is worth more to me than anything else in the world, and if there was even a minimal chance I could be harming him, I would avoid it at all costs. And when it is something as simple as NOT pouring yourself a drink, then why not? You wont die without your wine, and your child might suffer the rest of their life. Those are not odds I want to even look at.

feex1982x

Its a personal choice, and i do find the information in the UK is startlingly different to the US. i would say that probably most women in the UK have a drink or 2 in their pregnancies. And the Mediteraneans even more so. But i am not saying what is right or wrong, just what i found with my first pregnancy. Now with this pregnancy this is a whole other ball game, i am having complications that are beyond my control due to a SCH being found. I have not had a drop since being diagnosed with this and will not be having any alcohol in this pregnancy whatsoever, as i do not feel comfortable with the idea as things arnt as smooth and trouble free and the previous pregnancy. I know how people viewed my occasional glass of wine when i was carrying my daughter, but the facts are. She is healthy, happy,very smart and growing wonderfully and we are a very close family. However 5- 6 glasses a week, i have read that too somewhere, but is not an amount i would even consider. If you were to consider it, thats when i think an occasional glass of wine turns into something more serious issue needing addressing.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.