General trying to conceive

Tagged: 

This topic contains 131,345 replies, has 3,070 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 124,411 through 124,425 (of 131,346 total)
  • Author

SarahD

well I’m off for the night. My head is hurting. I have been on so much and my contacts are dry. Good night all!

hauntmom

Hello I have a 19month old and we are now going to start trying this month for baby number 2. Any tips we should try? We are going to start this weekend. Hope everyone is have a good week and Good Luck to all.

abigailsmommy
    Participant

Dawn, I’m praying for you. When is AF due?

3rdTry
    Participant

LadyGodwin – I have a 32 day cycle and ovulated on CD 18, so I doubt it is ovulation pain but it is possible.

janet1972

mrssmith600 – Congrats!! I am so happy for you. Wish you the best of all to you and your little one.

missyv28pink

Nikki3kids, get a dollar store test…it’s only $1 and just as accurate as the expensive ones…with 2 first pregnancies I drank and had sushi and both boys are healthy so as long as you stop once you know your preggo you should be ok

Jumana

ok now i get it, it was BFN lool i was shocked like WHAT!! the tests give u hope then u get af

ToveAndBrody

Found the following info on UpToDate. Risk factors of early pregnancy loss. This is a very reliable source, it is on my work computer here at the hospital I work for. Surprised to see low folate and motrin, caffeine and smoking…this is technical writing but I thought Id share as is…as Im sure someone will benefit from the info:)::::::::::::
    Age †Advancing maternal age is the most important risk factor for spontaneous miscarriage in healthy women. The effect of maternal age on pregnancy outcome was illustrated in a review of over 1 million pregnancies of known outcome and with admission to a hospital link. The overall rate of SAb was 11 percent and the approximate frequencies of clinically recognized miscarriage according to maternal age were: age 20 to 30 years (9 to 17 percent), age 35 (20 percent), age 40 (40 percent), and age 45 (80 percent) link.
    Previous spontaneous abortion †Past obstetrical history is an important predictor of subsequent pregnancy outcome. The risk of miscarriage in future pregnancy is approximately 20 percent after one miscarriage, 28 percent after two consecutive miscarriages, and 43 percent after three or more consecutive miscarriages link. By comparison, miscarriage occurred in only 5 percent of women in their first pregnancy or in whom the previous pregnancy was successful.
    Smoking †Heavy smoking (greater than 10 cigarettes per day) is associated with an increased risk of pregnancy loss (relative risk 1.2 to 3.4) link. This association is more pronounced when controlling for other causes of pregnancy loss, such as limiting the analysis to chromosomally normal abortuses link. The mechanism is not known, but may be related to vasoconstrictive and antimetabolic effects. Paternal smoking may also increase the risk of pregnancy loss link. Smoking cessation should be recommended for its overall health benefits (see ‘Smoking and pregnancy’ and ‘Patterns of tobacco use and benefits of smoking cessation’).
    Alcohol †Observational studies have generally, but not consistently, reported that moderate to high alcohol consumption increases the risk of SAb link. Interpretation of such studies is complicated by potentially inadequate adjustment for confounders and underreporting of alcohol use. Women planning pregnancy should avoid alcohol consumption since alcohol is a known teratogen and a safe level of alcohol intake has not been established at any stage of pregnancy. (See ‘Alcohol intake and pregnancy’ and ‘Substance use in pregnancy’.)
    Gravidity †Some studies have shown an increased risk of miscarriage with increasing gravidity link, while others have not link. Possible reasons for this association include (1) reproductive compensation behavior (pregnancy failure is likely to be associated with repeated attempts at conception resulting in higher gravidity) and (2) short interpregnancy intervals in multigravid women. (See ‘Interpregnancy interval and pregnancy outcome’.)
    Cocaine †Use of cocaine is associated with preterm birth, and may also be a risk factor for spontaneous abortion link. In one study of 400 women who had a SAb and 570 controls who remained pregnant through at least 22 weeks of gestation, the presence of cocaine in hair samples was independently associated with an increase in the occurrence of spontaneous abortion after adjustment for demographic and drug-use variables (OR 1.4; 95% CI 1.0-2.1) link. (See ‘Substance use in pregnancy’.)
    Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs †The use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), but not acetaminophen, may be associated with an increased risk of miscarriage if used around the time of conception link. The postulated mechanism is that prostaglandin inhibitors interfere with the role prostaglandins play in implantation, thus potentially leading to abnormal implantation and pregnancy failure link. Although data are sparse, it is reasonable to suggest that women who are trying to conceive should consider avoiding use of NSAIDS to minimize the risk of miscarriage, especially when alternative drugs (eg, acetaminophen) are available.
    Fever †Fevers of 100 F (37.78 C) or more may increase the risk of miscarriage, but the only two large studies have been contradictory and inconclusive.
    • One study of women having euploid abortions, aneuploid abortions, and delivering at 28 weeks of gestation or later (controls) hypothesized that if fever was an antecedent (rather than a symptom) of SAb, there would be an association between fever and euploid, but not aneuploid, abortions link. Analysis of data supported this hypothesis: fevers were significantly more frequent among women with euploid abortions than among controls (18 versus 7 percent), but not more frequent among women with aneuploid abortions. Their hypothesis was also strengthened by the observation that the risk of abortion was highest proximate to the febrile episode: the ORs for abortion when fever occurred in the same calendar month, one month before, or two or more months before a euploid abortion were 6.0, 3.3, and 1.4, respectively.
    • By comparison, a second series interviewed over 24,000 Danish women in the first 16 weeks of pregnancy and obtained information on the number of fever episodes, highest temperature, duration, and gestational age at occurrence link. This information was subsequently linked to a pregnancy outcome registry. Fever occurred in 18.5 percent of participants. There was no association between fever or any specific fever characteristic and first, second, or third trimester fetal death, before or after adjustment of risk factors. However, the low rate of first trimester pregnancy loss (2.3 percent) suggests some women with spontaneous abortions were not included, potentially masking an effect of fever on early loss.
    Caffeine †Meta-analyses of controlled studies have generally reported an association between caffeine intake and spontaneous abortion, primarily at high levels of consumption. However, these studies have multiple limitations, including selection and recall bias, confounding, issues pertaining to exposure measurement (ie, inability to accurately measure caffeine intake since it depends upon the size of the cup, brand of coffee, and brewing method), as well as failure to account for fetal karyotype, caffeine metabolism, timing of fetal demise, and the possibility that an effect of caffeine may be gestational age-specific. The mechanism for the increased rate of SAb with high caffeine intake might be related to maternal metabolism and clearance of this substance. These issues are discussed in detail separately. (See ‘The effects of caffeine on fertility and on pregnancy outcomes’.)
    Prolonged ovulation to implantation interval †Early losses have also been related to a prolonged interval (ie, >10 days) between ovulation and implantation link. Such delays might result from fertilization of an older ovum, delayed tubal transport, or abnormal uterine receptivity.
    Prolonged time to pregnancy †Observational studies have reported that prolonged time to achieving pregnancy correlates with an increased risk of miscarriage link.
    Low-folate level †A well-designed, population-based, case-control study showed low plasma folate levels (≤2.19 ng/mL link) were associated with an increased risk of SAb at 6 to 12 weeks of gestation, but only when the fetal karyotype was abnormal link. Low folate levels with normal fetal karyotype and high folate levels had no such adverse effect. In this population, less than 5 percent of women received folate supplement. Whether low folate levels increase the risk of abnormal karyotype in the embryo and subsequent abortion is under investigation. Some investigators have suggested that maternal polymorphisms in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) and methionine synthase (MTRR) genes may increase the risk of meiotic nondisjunction. (See ‘Cytogenetic abnormalities in the embryo, fetus, and infant’, section on Trisomy 21.)
    There is no evidence that vitamin supplementation prevents miscarriage link. There is no specific evidence that folate supplementation reduces the risk of miscarriage in women with hyperhomocysteinemia, although this has been suggested link. However, folate supplements are routinely recommended for all pregnant women anyway for prevention of neural tube defects.
    Maternal weight †Prepregnancy body mass index less than 18.5 or above 25 kg/m2 has been associated with an increased risk of infertility and SAb link. (See ‘Optimizing natural fertility in couples planning pregnancy’ and ‘The impact of obesity on fertility and pregnancy’.)
    Celiac disease †Untreated celiac disease may be associated with a higher risk of SAb. (See ‘Definition and etiology of recurrent pregnancy loss’, section on ‘Celiac disease’.)

Kirra82
    Participant

becky, I think I am pregnant now and so does hubby, I know I shouldnt get my hopes up 🙁 Katie is crawling, she has always been active, even on the inside… She can now stand up on furniture unassisted, enjoy the time while Tricia cant move 🙂

IrishEyes

Oh crap ,I think af’s about to stick her fat nose in!!!! That’s it I’m fed up of this disappointment constantly it’s horseshit!

Neen209

How long u been tryin this time? x

and to all the ‘skeptics’ I had an embryo transfer so I know exactly the day I ‘O’ in the fertility treatment world so yes 6 dpo can be possible. CODYSMUM-carolina is absolutley right-and girl we should all always have some kind of hope-even to just keep us sane!

abigailsmommy
    Participant

I think I’m going to try to nap while Abs is… Hope all of you have a wonderful afternoon!

MrsParker

AF was due today. I got BFN on Sun and Tues. I’m going to try again tomorrow morning. I would love to know before we leave tomorrow night for our weekend in Vegas! There is no way I’m getting any sleep this week until AF comes or I get a BFP. Ugh!

Dsquared83

wow…..So much info!

Viewing 15 posts - 124,411 through 124,425 (of 131,346 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.