Tobacco

Tagged: 

This topic contains 96 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  tracy67 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Tess42

Dazieoo — I’m proud of you and you are smart to already start thinking about the possibility of your failing this terrific quit you’ve started. I encourage you to educate yourself on nicotine addiction and read up, in particular, why women (like myself) often rebound very hard after delivering. Go to quitting sites and read posts and profiles of people who have quit and those who are dying from the results of not quitting in time. It really helped me to get past my post acute withdrawal phase and not fall prey to believing I was ‘safe’ with just one. I’m a nicotine addict and I can’t ever have one milligram of nicotine in my system or I will be back to smoking 2 packs a day. Good luck mommies!

9yrslater
    Participant

Just curious b/c most of you are talking about smoking cigs but has anyone smoked marijuana before or during their pregnancy?

Tess42

AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN FIVE SHORT CHAPTERS
    by Portia Nelson

I
    I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I fall in.
    I am lost…I am helpless.
    It isn’t my fault.
    It takes me forever to find a way out.

II
    I walk down the same street.
    I pretend I don’t see it.
    I fall in again.
    I can’t believe I am in the same place
    but, it isn’t my fault.
    It still takes a long time to get out.

III
    I see it is there.
    I still fall in…it’s a habit.
    My eyes are open.
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault.
    I get out immediately.

IV
    I walk around it.

V
    I walk down another street.

Tess42

Hello Momma! Congratulations on your pregnancy! Go ahead and quit smoking right now. Just crumple them up and flush them down the toilet. If you’ve slipped, don’t waste a lot of time feeling guilty and angry… climb back aboard and quit again! REMEMBER: Don’t buy, don’t bum, don’t ashtray dive for any more butts.

Bonitababy01

I am 18 weeks preggo–and i can’nt seem to totally quit smoking. Please dont judge me-i feel aweful. I use to smoke a pack a day-i cut down to 6to 7 a day. I find myself smoking when im alone so that ppl dont look at me strange—as i have done to others. I thoughjt i could quit cold turkey and it kills me that i cannt. I feel horrible knowing that i can be doing damage to my wonderful baby growing inside me. please help any advise,info or sites i could look into i would be greatful!!!!

Tess42

Bonitababy: first of all, I’m all about the support thing and not about judgement. I am a nicotine addict. You asked about quit sites. There are two of which I know: whyquit.com and quitnet.com. Quitnet specifically has a club for pregnant mothers who are encouraging one another to quit. The most successful quitters typically ‘battle’ their quits with all sorts of tools: sugarless gum, NRTs, changing your routine (ex: don’t go in the store you typically buy cigarettes), and support — both on line and from family & friends. I try to come in now and again to give pregnant mommies some encouragement. You may discover that one of the biggest helps in your quitting smoking is helping others. You might be the exact encouraging word for someone else just hanging on by a thread. And that person might be facing something far more daunting than pregnancy. You just never know.

Bri

bonitababy01 – I’ve never smoked so I don’t know what you are going through. I do have a friend that had to quit cigs and pot. It was really hard. I know you can do it! A little bit at a time. You say you are down to 6 a day, tomorrow try only five. Keep spreading longer distances between each one every couple of days. Hopefully you will be down to 1 and then none! Good Luck! Pregnancy is stressful enough not to have to go through that too.

Bonitababy01

thank you everyone for your support! tess-thanks for the sites!! i so desperately needed them–im gonna check em out right now!!! thanks again!!!–my baby thanks you all also!!

Someone plz,help,im 7 weeks and before i got pregnant i smoked half a pak a day.When i found out i was pregnant i stopped cold turkey and did fine for a week.During that week the father was out of town and when he got back we started fighting.He’s just been acting like a brat latly and its understandable because he has alot on his plate but it stresses me out very very badly when we fight and i havta smoke a cig to get my blood pressure down (i dont know why but it works) and now im smoking 1 cig every other day or so and i hate myself so much because of it but if i dont get my blood pressure down when im stressed i start getin these cramps in the basic baby area (if you catch my drift,lol) and i get so scared im guna miscarry (its very very common in my family). Plz,someone tell me how i can calm down and lower my BP when my luv drives me nuttz,cause im truly not a bad person,im just out of ideas as yoga has started making me dizzy half the time and breathing exercizes just aren’t cutting it.Thanx so much ^-^

Tess42

Hi Ivy, I’m so sorry to hear you are having to deal with all that stress. Here is some good news, though: your blood pressure SHOULD actually come down naturally around your 2nd trimester because of the dramatic changes in your circulation (barring any difficulties such as pre-eclampsia). It’s interesting that you say smoking brings down your blood pressure, because nicotine restricts the blood vessels. You might want to talk to your doctor about that. I know that when I was really stressed like that, smoking gave me a perceived feeling of calmness that nothing else seemed to do. I learned later that what happens is, the nicotine in my blood stream dropped off faster when I was upset, so I had to replace the nicotine a lot more quickly. What has helped me, because I can not smoke any more — it will kill me — is sugarless gum. I’ll chew it like a mad woman, snapping, cracking, etc., when I’m really upset. Sounds trite, I know, but it’s really the best thing I’ve found. Good luck, Ivy!!!

Tess42

Oh… and I sit on my hands. You can’t smoke if you sit on your hands.

o,wow,i didnt know that about the BP.Thanx so much,i bought like 5 packs of dentine ice today,lol! never thought of sitting on my hands,lol,sounds different but effective,thanx so much! ^-^

TruckersWife

I’m so glad to see I’m not alone in this struggle. I wish smoking made me sick like the doctor predicted it would when I got pregnant, but it didn’t. I’ve cut down to about a quarter of what I smoked pre pregnancy, but still feel overwhelmingly guilty and sad every time I light up.

tquinn

So I am trying to figure out how I am going to quit smoking. I did drop down to lightsabout two weeks ago, and tomorrow ultra-lights. Some may think that this is not good enough but for me YIPEE! I then will try to reduce the amount of cigs I smoke. Wish me luck. This is a process for me.

Tess42

TRUKERSWIFE: Me too. I never experienced the revulsion that other mothers indicated either. I cut back, and even quit for a while somewhere along the lines in all my pregnancies — but always returned to smoking when I gave birth (except for my last baby). I believe, my heart always approached my ‘quits’ in pregnancy with more of a suspended sentence on smoking — and you know what, I think that’s alright, if that’s what gets someone through. And, TQUINN: Yipee indeed. My philosophy is, each step you take towards quitting smoking for good is positive. I’m ashamed to say, there was a time in my life where I DEFENDED my smoking. What I’ve come to learn is that my defense of smoking was my addiction talking. Stay strong, Mommies! I know it’s hard, but I believe in you!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.